The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Marine?

tiswot

HI

Can anyone help me track down Morice William Hammond? The spelling is taken directly from his daughters birth certificate. In 1895 his address was Forton Road Alverstoke, on the 1901 census this looks like the Royal Marines Barracks. On the birth certificate he is shown as a Private Marine, I'm assuming this means he's in the Marines as a private?

I cannot locate him using any of the normal sources so throw myself on the mercy of those who know far more than me!

Thanks in advance

Liz

Hi Liz

Can you give us a clue as to his date of birth and any other relations, can then try the usual on Ancestry.

Regards Barry

Hi Li2

Have you tried the Salty section of the forum, they are full of

helpful folks who may be able to help.

Regards Margarette

Hi Liz

1891 census has a Morris Hammond b.1871 @ Dover, Kent staying at Chatham with the 1st Division Royal Marine Light Infantry. (RG12,665,139,3)

Regards Barry

Hi Liz and mmm45

The Archives give his number as 4549 not 4559, enlisted Jan 1889 born Oct 1870, he's on the 1871 census father Morris mother Jane.

Regards Barry

Hi Liz and mmm45

The Archives give his number as 4549 not 4559, enlisted Jan 1889 born Oct 1870, he's on the 1871 census father Morris mother Jane.

Regards Barry

Thank you, this is my 'link' ancestor. Now filling in the jigsaw pieces for the rest.

Liz