The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harry Patch - Order of Service

bootneck

My mate Martin went down to Wells yesterday for Harry's funeral and unfortunately only a few people on the green outside the Cathedral managed to get hold of an Order of Service. He noticed today that already one has appeared on Ebay and was frankly disgusted that someone is already trying to make a profit on Harry's death. He intends to contact Ebay about this, and asked me if I would ask any of you who agree and are Ebayers to do the same.

Many thanks.

Regards

Bootneck

B##stards!

The sad thing is that I would love to buy a copy, but I won't because of the imorality of it. However, in years to come they will become valuable items.

Chris

My mate Martin went down to Wells yesterday for Harry's funeral and unfortunately only a few people on the green outside the Cathedral managed to get hold of an Order of Service. He noticed today that already one has appeared on Ebay and was frankly disgusted that someone is already trying to make a profit on Harry's death. He intends to contact Ebay about this, and asked me if I would ask any of you who agree and are Ebayers to do the same.

Many thanks.

Regards

Bootneck

As its in such demand why don't the Royal British Legion print/publish the Order of Service as a fundraising item, or link it to the Radiohead single - an official RBL item is easier to authenticate than one of the "originals" which are (obscenely) been sold on e-bay.

To usurp anyone from making a profit.... I'm happy to scan mine and e-mail it (free of charge!!). It'll probably be in 1 pdf document. If anyone fancies a copy, PM me your e-mail address.

Ebay will not do anything about it as it does not contravene any of their rules.

Frankly, if the thought of this is offensive, don't log onto the Ebay page.

As they say different horses for different courses,

the people selling are not so much interested in history but in dosh,

as is most of the world.

What people choose to do with items in their possession is their own business.

Today I was very lucky to be able to take three of my children to witness the funeral of this remarkeable man. We each were given this wonderful keepsake of the order of service.

I have decided to sell my copy to help raise funds for the care of my 96 year old Godmother who was born before the first World war and who needs a little help now.

Sounds fair enough to me, I've no reason to disbelieve the seller.

The other copy on offer is being auctioned in aid of the RNLI, which would probably please Mr Patch.

Les

Received O.K. Many thanks.

John

I take it you lot have not had a look for a while, more than half dozen now! some for a lot of cash.

why is anyone suprised, check out Harry's signed books, you get to meet him, them wait till the day he dies and flog his book, now those are$+@&^

Matt

Can someone explain why selling memorabilia of Mr Patch is different from selling memorabilia of other dead veterans? Posters here rave about buying notebooks and diaries, personal items etc. and all they get is "Great find!" No one calls the sale and purchase of a death plaque obscene or immoral.

To usurp anyone from making a profit.... I'm happy to scan mine and e-mail it (free of charge!!). It'll probably be in 1 pdf document. If anyone fancies a copy, PM me your e-mail address.

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the GWF and I would be really happy to have a PDF copy of Harry's Order of Service. I wanted to travel to Somerset last Thursday but went down with a kidney infection. I was gutted! I'm having trouble getting a PM through to you. Am I doing it right? I'm clicking on your profile and "send a message" but its saying i'm not allowed to do that. Hope you can help.

Regards,

Michele

Michele

You can't PM until you have made 10 posts - but I am sure Les will see your request when he next logs in.

Regards

Brian

Michele

You can't PM until you have made 10 posts - but I am sure Les will see your request when he next logs in.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian, I hope so, but in the meantime I'd better get posting!

Regards

Michele