Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What are the chances of...............................

Bingo794

One hell of a week for a chap in the next town to us, he is a collector to the Notts and Derbys. I have tried to get him on here, he is a mine of information when it comes to the N&D's, WW1 and Boer War, but he cannot use a computer and doesn't want to learn.

I have passed on a few medals from auction that I have come accross and I have advised him of items coming up in sales. We have a chin wag on the 'phone and occasionally have a drink.

He rang me last night with some news (then came to see me after he heard of the accident I have had). It seems he bought a unique Death Plaque from ebay which belonged to a 1914Star Trio he has had for five years or so.

Then he tells me that he has just won a medal on ebay, again Notts and Derbys, to a casualty that makes up a broken trio he has had since he was a lad.

What are the chances of say finding a unique Death Plaque and getting hold of a medal you have been after for twenty years, in the same week like that.

I have asked him to pick my lottery numbers for this week.

Mossy git :rolleyes:

DickW

One hell of a week for a chap in the next town to us, he is a collector to the Notts and Derbys. I have tried to get him on here, he is a mine of information when it comes to the N&D's, WW1 and Boer War, but he cannot use a computer and doesn't want to learn.

I have passed on a few medals from auction that I have come accross and I have advised him of items coming up in sales. We have a chin wag on the 'phone and occasionally have a drink.

He rang me last night with some news (then came to see me after he heard of the accident I have had). It seems he bought a unique Death Plaque from ebay which belonged to a 1914Star Trio he has had for five years or so.

Then he tells me that he has just won a medal on ebay, again Notts and Derbys, to a casualty that makes up a broken trio he has had since he was a lad.

What are the chances of say finding a unique Death Plaque and getting hold of a medal you have been after for twenty years, in the same week like that.

I have asked him to pick my lottery numbers for this week.

Mossy git :rolleyes:

DickW

Dick, that is also my main interest, the Boer War and Great War.

I wonder who he is, :unsure: but i have accomplished these re-unites on many occasions over the last 40 years and to the same regiment. Probably the most important I have ever re-united was a EV11 DCM found in London, then the LSGC in Worksop Notts, then several years later finding the King and Queens South Africa which was located in South Africa and then the named 1911 Coronation at a well known medal auction. It took over 20 years but it can be done!. All to a soldier who lived only several miles away from where i am sitting now, in Derbyshire. Captain and Qtr/Mtr W.A. Roberts later the 6th Battalion Notts and Derby Regt. ;) BRONNO.

I myself managed to get a 1914-15 Star to complete an MM Trio to the Lincolns, only recently. It was like all my Christmases coming at once, a bolt from the blue...................however, it came from the source I bought the original broken trio from. It had been misplaced some time since.

I read of this sort of thing happening all the time on the sites that I use, but it never landed for me. For it to happen twice in one week is just unbelievable and the odds/chances of it happening must be along the lines of winning a sizeable sum on the national lottery.

The lad in question, Mick Bingham, is from Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire originally. He has lived in Lincolnshire for years and came here when his Dad took a farm tenancy in the 1970's. I remember him when I was a kid, he is a couple of school years older than myself. About 52. He is a quiet chap, but get him onto this subject and he opens up. Get a beer in him and he turns into Ian Hislop/Lee Mack/Frankie Boyle, so he is a bit of a comedian.

Dick

Dick,

I wouldnt even think about asking him to do your lottery numbers. He has obviously used up all his luck.

What a coincidence. Cheers

Dick,

I wouldnt even think about asking him to do your lottery numbers. He has obviously used up all his luck.

What a coincidence. Cheers

David,

This has my head spinning, just too much to take in odds wise.

As for his luck, have you not heard that things happen in threes ;)

I'll give it a go.

Dick

I've just changed my Avatar - what do you reckon ?

Very nice!

A smashing group. To whom, and which unit?

I have my Avatar which was sent to me via a mate who was taking photos at Donington Park. How did you get the sizing down so far?

If I could do it I would post a couple of my sets up!

Dick

Dick,

I'll PM yer

Cheers David.

About five years ago my parents sold up and moved to a different town in another part of England to live with my sister. Among the things they gave away was a set of two volumes on ships that dated from the early 1930s. I had always wanted these, but they were gone when I got there to help the move.

Two years later I was visiting my father and went into the enormous second hand bookshop in the town. Among the thousands of books there were these two volumes! I know they were the same as:

a. I had put my name in one volume at the age of about 5 and it was still there,

b. the books were in fact a big set of magazines that came out month by month and my father's sister had taken them and had bespoke bindings put on - so they were unique.

I was astounded and when I explained the shop owner gave them to me half price. He couldn't believe it either, but there was documentary proof in the books. Unfortunately, another two sets - one on railways and the other on engineering - also two volumes and also bespoke binding - have not surfaced. Now that would be a coincidence.

Can't use a computer but buys on ebay? <_<

John

About five years ago my parents sold up and moved to a different town in another part of England to live with my sister. Among the things they gave away was a set of two volumes on ships that dated from the early 1930s. I had always wanted these, but they were gone when I got there to help the move.

Two years later I was visiting my father and went into the enormous second hand bookshop in the town. Among the thousands of books there were these two volumes! I know they were the same as:

a. I had put my name in one volume at the age of about 5 and it was still there,

b. the books were in fact a big set of magazines that came out month by month and my father's sister had taken them and had bespoke bindings put on - so they were unique.

I was astounded and when I explained the shop owner gave them to me half price. He couldn't believe it either, but there was documentary proof in the books. Unfortunately, another two sets - one on railways and the other on engineering - also two volumes and also bespoke binding - have not surfaced. Now that would be a coincidence.

Crikey, thats the way to do it.

Luck is out there somewhere.

John

Thats my excuse for making those high bids....I didn't know what I was doing!!

I have a story of reverse luck, a few years ago before I moved to this village I came across a Trio named to an unusual name in an antique shop in Bawtry, the shop owner told me the history of the name and the village he came from and when I got home a did a bit of a search in SDGW (before the disk) and there he was. Stupidly I never went back for them. When we moved here I discovered him on the memorial and now I would kill for them.

Mick

John

I only know him from the odd local auction, he was at school at the same time as myself, but a couple of years older. We have a few mutual friends and I see him occasionally in the pub and we chat about our hobby. He lives a couple of miles from us and I see him on his way to work most days. I didn't know what line of work he was in until he popped round, after hearing about my accident.

He works for a large manufacturer of plastic mouldings. He works in their CAD/CAM (design?) computer department and has had his own company building them. Before finding out he was better off working for someone else.

In his use of his rather dry sense of humour, he told me he hated the things, didn't want to know anything about them, couldn't use them and knew nothing about how they work. When on the contrary, he did/does.

I guess he just spends that much time working with them, he cannot bothered with all the 'clat', of tapping at a keyboard, when he has better things to do.

He uses ebay because his son has an account. He has had some bargains in the past.

My brother cannot swim, but he uses my old jet ski :D

Dick

Thats my excuse for making those high bids....I didn't know what I was doing!!

I have a story of reverse luck, a few years ago before I moved to this village I came across a Trio named to an unusual name in an antique shop in Bawtry, the shop owner told me the history of the name and the village he came from and when I got home a did a bit of a search in SDGW (before the disk) and there he was. Stupidly I never went back for them. When we moved here I discovered him on the memorial and now I would kill for them.

Mick

I didn't know Bawtry had an antique shop.

What was the name on the medals, can you remember?

We have all missed out on bit n bobs with luck like that. You always kick yourself for years afterwards.

DW

I've done it a few times. The best was a 1914-15 Star to the Indian Medical Department. Then a friend said that a medal shop had "an M.S.M. I think" (turned out to be a L.S.G.C.). Then I get Gene Ursual's list, and there's a Persian Gulf N.G.S. It then sat for a year or two, and my interests turned to CEF medals. I'm at a friend's house and he says dealer X wants to get hold of me, as he has a pair to an Assistant Surgeon. Yep, same man.

post-8221-1250102983.jpg