Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

camping on the somme

trenchwalker

hi all

i am planning a trip to the somme on the 1st of july i last went there for the first of july in 1996 when i was 9 and i want to do it again but all the b and bs and hotels will be fully booked i was just wondering where and how much the camp sites will be.

mart

There's (was ?) one at Albert, and there is one at Authuille. If you're on foot and with a tent, it'll cost you less than £5 a night (more like £3).

A little further afield, you can find one at Peronne and, maybe, Bapaume.

John.

I camped at Authuille a couple of years ago. It's not five star but good enough for me. It's not too far from Albert and just down the hill from Thiepval.

Haven't you already asked about the Authuille camp-site on a previous thread, Martin? (or am I suffering from deja-vu?)

Authuille and Albert Velodrome are both Ok (Authuille (pretty basic)is excellently sited (unless you're on foot with a 5 stone rucksack walking from Albert train station, as I was on my first stay there) and I'm unsure whether the velodrome one even exists now, but it was "basicer than basic"!

The one I've stopped at in the area that I like the best is at Treaux. There are a couple in the French battle area and I recall seeing a sign for a camp-site somewhere near Courcelette (but this might be for one of the ones previously mentioned).

Price-wise, then Johnny has got it pretty spot on (for all the ones mentioned). You're not going to bust your bank-balance doing this!!! :D

Dave.

(PS. A word of warning - don't be too surprised if the camp-sites are "complet" too at this time of year!!! - They were in 1990)

• 1 month later...

The 'Bellevue' campsite at Authuille has always been good for us (although this year i will be at Julie Renshaws, driver staying B&B, me in tent!!!). The owners do not speak English, but there will be a lot of English & Scottish camping there so you wont be lonely and you can get an early call from them if needed for the 1st.

See you over there sometime, Tommies at lunchtime perhaps?

Mandy.