Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlisting into the Special Reserve

jim_davies

I've come across a number of references from 1914 newspapers of men enlisting in the "Special Reserve" at the outbreak of the war.

Reading the main site's definition has helped me understand what the Special Reserve was, espcailly with regard to it's pre war function.

So why would a man join the Special Reserve (3rd batt, Lincolns) when the war had already started, as opposed to joining the TF or Kitcheners battalions?

Of the two examples I've taken most interest in, one seems to have been transferred to a New Army battalion very quickly (within 6-8 months) and the second to a regular battalion within a similar timeframe.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 year later...

I posted the above about a year ago, wondered if any of our newer pals might be able to shed some light as to why lads would join the Special Reserve in 1914.

Jim

I posted the above about a year ago, wondered if any of our newer pals might be able to shed some light as to why lads would join the Special Reserve in 1914.

Jim

Hi, Jim - I have a entry under Medal Cards called Spec.Res. My guess is you got some training for War and being 3 battalion was more prestigious? My Gr.Granfather was also posted from 3 battalion to another battlion. In Spec.Res posting you will see that the pals say that 3 battlion soldiers were posted as required to keep up battalion strength.

I'm surprised an authorative reply hasn't been posted yet - I haven't bothered because I was expecting to see one. Under the Haldane army reforms of 1908, the Militia became the Special Reserve and often formed the 3rd battalion of a regiment, the Regulars being the 1st and 2nd, the Territorials the 4th.

Militia units were very local forces drawn from civilians but with a small core of permanent adjutants, quartermasters and NCOs. They were liable for service only in the UK.

A cynic might say that enlisting in the Special Reserve on the outbreak of war was an easier option than joing a service battalion liable to serve overseas. But there would have been some other very valid reasons: too old, too young , not physically fit for fighting. And some people would have been of more service to their country staying in their civilian occupation. Quite a few Kitchener recruits were returned to their old skilled jobs for example. And there was a lot of controversy about farmers (whether farm-owners or workers) joining up. Early on, some were heavily criticised for staying put, but as the war drew on and food supplies became vital they really were needed on the land. So some of these may have enlisted in the Special Reserve.

Terry

I have never come across a reference anywhere that states that a special reservist would or could be exempt from service abroad. As far as I am aware they were subject to being called up on general mobilisation and served with the same conditions as the men of the Army Reserve. I think that the TF had no obligation to serve abroad. http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm

This link to the mothersite should explain the situation.

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

I would suggest that those less cynical would say that by enlisting in the SR either pre or at the outbreak of war would likely ensure that you faced the enemy significantly sooner than by joining a Kitchener bn.

Andy

OK, here goes.

The Militia did not "become" the SR. Men had no obligation to joint the SR. The Special Reserve was created in 1908 precisely to create a trained reserve of individual men who were able to be sent into active service wherever needed. Each battalion was about 500 men. Initial training was six months full time, then an annual top-up. Pay in uniform same as regulars. There was no plan to use the SR as a formed fighting force. It was to absorb, on mobilisation, all the unfit, untrained regulars, all the under-age, all the returned sick and wounded. It soon grew to 2500 in some regiments.

The army had calculated, accurately, that in a major war they would need 80% replacements for infantry in the first year. The Regular Reserve [those who had served their colour service] simply was not big enough. SR men were used in Regular Battalions in small numbers ab initio, gaining the 1914 star with clasp.

With hindsight, joining the SR in August 1914 might seem a soft option. In fact it pre-existed the New Army formations, and was acknowledged to be socially superior.

The real soft option was TF, with no liability to serve overseas until conscription brought in. However, pressure from above and peer pressure led many TF units to vote to serve overseas, and they soon distinguished themselves, long before the New Armies arrived.

Please note the the New Armies were NOT, in the army's eyes, different from Regulars except in so far as their Terms of Engagement were different.