Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Republican Brigadier-General

mhifle

Hi,

I came across this article in the Times 20 Nov 1922, and was wondering if anyone would know who the former Connaught Ranger

was referred to in the article.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1249547573.jpg

post-14045-1249547633.jpg

post-14045-1249547662.jpg

Hard to find the British army careers of Republicans. Often airbrushed out. However, there are a few possibilities. Of course, just because the paper says it doesn't mean it's true!! Would the 'mutiny' in India have an effect on reporting this piece??

Michael Kilroy was OC of Western Command anti-treaty forces in late 1922 - operating in Newport, Westport, Castlebar and Connemara. Kilroy's unit was very active and inventive and is the most likely candidate in my view to be the person in the article.

Frank Carty was based in Tobercurry area.

East Mayo had Tom Maguire who was captured in October 1922.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Looking at the date of the article you could be right about the 'mutiny' having an influence.

Thanks for the names,

'Brigadier-General' is that a rank given him by the paper or was that a rank used by Republicans at the time?

Regards Mark

The relevant Army commands in March 1922 prior to the Civil War were:-

First Western Division - Commandant Michael Brennan (pro-treaty)

Second Western Division - Commandant Thomas Maguire (anti-treaty)

Third Western Division - Commandant Liam Pilkington (went anti-treaty)

Fourth Western Division - Commandant Michael Kilroy (went anti-treaty)

At the start of the Civil War in June 1922, Michael Kilroy was a Commandant-General. Some Brigade commanders termed themseves Brigadiers, others commandants so I think the terminology was fairly fluid.

I would think that the ant-treaty side had Generals because the new army had Generals in the same way that they had Brigades which bore no resemblance to a Brigade in military terminology. For example the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Dublin Brigade has 120 men.

Mark