Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who were the "Spanish Onions" ?

Krithia

Reading the Domesticities chapter of Edmund Blundens UNDERTONES OF WAR recently, he mentions a rough tramway which made him say "This must have been put down in 1914 by the Spanish Onions (he belonged to the regiment so called) ...

Who were the Spanish Onions ?

I can see the connection, but I have not heard this nickname before for the "Fusiliers", but its a definate possibility.

One of the nicknames of the Grenadier Guards was "The Onion Guards" so Spanish Onions may refer to less well known nickname of one of the Fusilier Regiments.

the Spanish Onions (he belonged to the regiment so called) ...

Who were the Spanish Onions ?

There is only one Edmund Blunden in Ancestry Medals and he was Pte 25889 Edmund J Blunden in Bedfordshire Regiment.

Hywyn

Hmm, maybe not him as this Wikipedia entry shows him to be in the Royal Sussex Regiment (11th Battalion seen elsewhere)

No medal card though?

Hywyn

I always thought it was the Welsh Guards for wearing a wild leek (bit different from the modified massives that are sold in the supermarkets today).

Blunden was 2/Lt Edmund Charles Blunden, MC. 11 Bn. Royal Sussex. However, I thought that the South Down Regiments were called Lowther's Lambs. A

There is no disputing Lieutenant Edmund C Blunden, definately 11th Royal Sussex, they were the Southdowners or Lowthers Lambs. I do not think he was refering to the Sussex in the passage and I also doubt the Welsh Guards as they didn't exist in 1914. Grenadier Guards, another distinct probability. Thanks all.

I also doubt the Welsh Guards as they didn't exist in 1914. Grenadier Guards, another distinct probability. Thanks all.

Thanks for correcting my calendar, K :) You're right. I missed that by a couple of months. A