Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zillebeke Lake

Simon Jones

I am thinking of taking a group to see the area of some battery positions west of Moated Grange (described by artist and writer Wyndham Lewis) and as not all of the group will be up to a half mile walk can anyone tell me if the Zillebekevijverdreef along the western edge of the lake is suitable for a coach? Also, what is the building at the end that I have arrowed?

thanks

post-1722-1249461412.jpg

Simon, the arrowed building is a bar/restaurant with a small car-park.

I've never taken a coach up there. The road would be wide enough but from memory, I'm not certain that there is anywhere to park the coach or turn it round when you get there.

Plus - things change all the time and since I was there last, there could be all sorts of new obstacles such as height-bars, barriers etc. Maybe another Pal will have more current information. Failing that, I would want to go and have a look before I tried it.

Tom

Thanks Tom - yes I would normally have a look first but this time it is just not feasible before the trip itself.

I think there is turning space owing to the access to the adjacent industrial or agricultural buildings.

post-1722-1249463320.jpg

The bar/restaurant is closed and up for sale. The access road is definately available for cars and vans as I drove along it a few days ago. I am not in position to advise ref coaches as I have never taken a coach along this road personally. Turning spaces can be tight and the water board treatment access road is being worked on and is also not available for turning however, the turning point at the end of the road was available when I visited.

Hope this helps!

Chris.

Chris

That is very useful. Of course I would much rather have a leisurely walk along the side of the lake but we will have a lot to fit into the tour!

Many thanks

Simon

I am absolutely sure that this road can be taken by a coach. (Except maybe a high double decker, because of the trees ?) I walk there (around the lake) twice a week. And I am also sure there is a large enough turning point for a coach just north of the (vacant) restaurant.

However, I have never paid attention (and am seldon or never near where the road begins) if there could be a sign or so at the beginning saying that it is ... not allowed for coaches. :rolleyes:

I could have a look next time when I am near, but that won't be until coming Friday.

Aurel

Aurel

I would be very grateful if you could have a look on your next walk. It will probably be Saturday 22 August that we visit.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon.

I have just walked over to the lake. The access road is coach friendly up to the first vehicle park on the right hand side near the lake. The road after that will possibly have a height issue with branches but not width which is fine. The Industrial buildings access on the left from the lake is definately not coach friendly. The bar/restaurant is closed and empty. The vehicle park at the end is also adequate for coaches if you can get all the way along.

To sum up. Park coach in first coach park just inside your red loop which is up against the side of the lake on the right hand side, perfect! You then have a nice walk along the access road frontage.

Hope OK.

Chris.

Chris

Great! We may have a go at getting along the road depending on the branches, the itinerary timings and the mobility of the group.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon,

Without having been there yet today, I can agree with Chris.

Maybe I can add : taken an open deck doubledecker and make sure that the passengers on the top deck have something to cut the branches with... :closedeyes:

Serious : from the main road to the first parking certainly will not be a problem. And the trees on the west edge of the lake ... Well, from the southwest corner it's "only" 400 meters to the (empty) restaurant. Well, I can go there next Friday, taking with me ... a camera. (Of course, not with a saw !) :rolleyes:

Aurel

Bernard, that is a great photo.

Simon - if it was me, I'd park at transport farm and walk to that corner of the lake.

Thanks Paul, it's the northern corner of the lake that I want to get to as we are going to walk further to get in sight of Moated Grange where I will talk about Wyndham Lewis's battery position which was immediately west of it.

Simon,

Standing near the south west corner of Zillebeke Lake, looking north to the northwest corner (about 500 meters from where I was standing.)

No problem for a normal coach.

Aurel

post-92-1249669056.jpg

Aurel

Marvellous! I am very grateful to you. We will try not to disturb the walkers.

Simon

Simon,

If you see a walker with a jack-russell, say hello. To the walker. For that could be me. ;)

This pic standing in the Komenseweg (main road), looking to the entrance of the road to Zillebeke Lake.

As you see : nothing saying that it is not allowed for coaches.

But please tell your coach driver that maximum speed 40 = in kilometers, not miles. For you never know, there may ba a man walking a jack .... :-)

Aurel

post-92-1249669463.jpg

Simon,

This is the parking area near the south west corner. Large enough for a turning point for a coach.

Aurel

post-92-1249669569.jpg

Simon,

Parking area at the northwest corner of the lake.

You can't see a jack russell.

It was (impatiently) waiting at my feet. :-)

Aurel

post-92-1249669780.jpg

Simon,

Standing at the northern end of the previous parking area, looking northeast ...

I'm not sure if this is the post-war version of Moated Grange. (Sorry, I should have looked at what is now approx. 400 meters more east, if there is something... Don't know ... As you may know farms were not exactly rebuilt on the exact same spot as pre war ... I could have asked the farmer, for at a distance he was watching me taking a pic of his farm. :-)

The cow in the foreground has been told to welcome you in a week or two.

It (she) is acting a bit strange.

It is her way of saying yes.

Or maybe it was because a jack russell was barking at her.

By the way, the cow is post war. ;)

If you want a pic of Chippy, the jack-russell, let me know.

(Sorry, just kidding. :-)))

Aurel

post-92-1249670319.jpg

Aurel

Thank you! You are correct: Moated Grange is now just a moat 400 metres to the east of the new farm. I make it to be the trees above the white van in your photo of the parking area. The battery position at I.16c.2.6. is between the two.

post-1722-1249671957.jpg

We will look out for a man with a Jack Russell!

The cow in the foreground has been told to welcome you in a week or two.

It (she) is acting a bit strange.

She also seems to have an extra leg or two :lol:

If you want a pic of Chippy, the jack-russell, let me know.

Yes please !!

Simon,

Maybe you're right. I'm not sure.

Maybe a little more to the right ?

Greyhound,

No problem. But only because you're User Name is "Greyhound" ! :-)

Here he is. My companion on the Zillebeke Lake Expedition.

But I think Chippy doesn't like greyhounds. :-)

Aurel

post-92-1249673160.jpg

post-7805-1249674130.jpg

I was there on Weds of this week and there were a great number of cyclists in the vicinity...