Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt G S Finch, Coldstream Guards

basiloxford

Hi everyone,

I'm researching a local church war memorial in oxford,

and i've come across a Sgt George Sidney Finch, 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards, service no 8333.

According to a report in the local press after he was killed in September 1916, he was awarded the Croix de Guerre.

I'm assuming that the Croix de Guerre is something thats similar to the British Military Medal, but my question is,

are there any records to show what it would have been awarded for, or when. Also is it usual for British soldiers

to be awarded French military awards during the First World War.

Many thanks,

Barry.

The French CdeG is a Mention in Despatches accompanied by a medal. Where the recipient (an individual or a unit) was involved in operations in direct cooperation with the French, the award was generally made by the French themselves. CdeG's were also awarded on a fraternal basis (as were the medals of several other Allied countries) to foreign recipients on the recommendation of their own officers. As the CdeG could be awarded posthumously, it was often awarded to men who lost their lives in circumstances that would have merited a 'lesser' British gallantry medal if they had survived (the VC being the only British gallantry medal that can be awarded posthumously).

Individual awards of the CdeG were generally announced in the London Gazette (without citation). Every CdeG was accompanied by an individual or unit citation (in French, often with a copy in translation), but these do not appear to have been recorded centrally, and French records of awards of the CdeG to foreigners are virtually non-existent. If the citation (or copy thereof, in the case of a unit citation) has not survived in association with the medal, there is unfortunately very little chance of ever finding it.

Mick

To amplify Mick's reply just a mite.

1. It used to be said that writing to the French Defence Attache would shed light; I know not so - for the reasons above.

2. One must exercise care as often family mythology arises around the circumstances of the award "saved a French soldier/officer" etc etc which have no basis in fact or are untterly unverifiable as such. Certainly, some were given for specific acts but the vast majority were, as Mick indicates, given 'fraternally' and the selection for award was made by British authorities on behalf of the French government.

was also MID 1.1.16

Certainly, some were given for specific acts but the vast majority were, as Mick indicates, given 'fraternally' and the selection for award was made by British authorities on behalf of the French government.

Contrary to the notion that foreign medals 'came up with the rations', most French CdeGs awarded 'fraternally' to men selected by the British authorities seem to have been given to men who had carried out acts of acknowledged gallantry for which they could not, for various reasons, be awarded a British medal – for example, a man who lost his life in gallant circumstances that did not fulfil the criteria for the VC (the only British gallantry medal that could be awarded posthumously).

Thanks everyone.

From your replies, it would seem that he must have done something to deserve it,

but i guess it's one of those things which will remain a bit of a mystery.

Many thanks,

Barry.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I'm researching a local church war memorial in oxford,

and i've come across a Sgt George Sidney Finch, 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards, service no 8333.

According to a report in the local press after he was killed in September 1916, he was awarded the Croix de Guerre.

I'm assuming that the Croix de Guerre is something thats similar to the British Military Medal, but my question is,

are there any records to show what it would have been awarded for, or when. Also is it usual for British soldiers

to be awarded French military awards during the First World War.

Many thanks,

Barry.

Hi the award was gasetted 24 Feb 1916.

Peter