Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chester Earl of Chester's Yeomanry

Beau Geste

A lady from the village where I live showed me a badge that I initially took to be associated with one of the Welsh regiments. She found it in a mole hill on a track in the village of Slyne - on the A6 between Lancaster and Morecambe. The mole Hill had been disturbed, perhaps by someone out on horseback and it was amongst the soil that had been thrown across the track.To be honest I had never heard of the Earl of Chester's Yeomanry and so I browsed and found out they served in the Great War in Palestine, and later in Ireland, but didn't seem to feature on The Somme or in Flanders.

I bet it could tell a story.

Harry

Verdin's regimental history is a useful read and is quite detailed about the Great War period.

Its infamous period was a century before when it was one of the units which undertook the Peterloo Massacre.

A lady from the village where I live showed me a badge that I initially took to be associated with one of the Welsh regiments. She found it in a mole hill on a track in the village of Slyne - on the A6 between Lancaster and Morecambe. The mole Hill had been disturbed, perhaps by someone out on horseback and it was amongst the soil that had been thrown across the track.To be honest I had never heard of the Earl of Chester's Yeomanry and so I browsed and found out they served in the Great War in Palestine, and later in Ireland, but didn't seem to feature on The Somme or in Flanders.

I bet it could tell a story.

Harry

An archaeologist once told me mole hill kicking was an acceptable form of 'field walking' and when ever I'm near one I can't resist!

They merged with the Shropshire Yeomanry in 1918 becoming 10th KSLI (if memory serves me right) and fought on Western Front from May 1918 as part of 74th Yeomanry Div.

TT

There were far more theatres in the war than the Somme and Flanders!

Well, you learn something every day !!!

Harry

Verdin's regimental history is a useful read and is quite detailed about the Great War period.

Its infamous period was a century before when it was one of the units which undertook the Peterloo Massacre.

Thank you John.

Harry

An archaeologist once told me mole hill kicking was an acceptable form of 'field walking' and when ever I'm near one I can't resist!

I'll have to give it a try.

Harry

They merged with the Shropshire Yeomanry in 1918 becoming 10th KSLI (if memory serves me right) and fought on Western Front from May 1918 as part of 74th Yeomanry Div.

TT

Thanks for that TT

Harry