Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Duncan Ronald Gordon MACKAY, RAF

jimmyjames

This young RAF officer, a bomber pilot I believe, died on 11th November 1918, Armistice Day. He may well have been a POW when he died.

I would be very grateful for any information on his service in the RFC/RAF. He previously enlisted into the Public Schools Battalion, and then commissioned in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Many thanks

Jimmy

Capt D R G MacKay was the pilot of DH4 F5725 of No 55 Sqn Independent Force RAF, with 2Lt H T C Gompertz as his observer when shot down and fatally wounded during a bombing raid on Cologne on 10 November 1918. Both airmen were taken PoW and Capt MacKay died of wounds the next day.

Capt MacKay featured in an earlier discussion on the Forum under 'Soldiers/The Last Casualty' as he may have been the last British serviceman to die before the Armistice came into effect.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Dolphin.

I managed to miss the earlier thread on Capt Mackay but I have caught up with it now!

Interestingly, he is buried in the Joef Communal Cemetery, Meurthe-en-Moselle and is the only Empire serviceman buried there. It is in the Metz/Nancy area of France, due east of Paris. What was he doing down there, or was it just the circumstances of his death as a POW.

Any idea how he earned his DFC.

Best regards

Jimmy

Jimmy

The citation for Captain MacKay's posthumous DFC is below. It was Gazetted on 3 December 1918.

Cheers

post-25-1082404588.jpg

Jimmy

Further to my earlier post, if you'll let me know your direct email address, I can send you an extract from Keith Rennles' 'Independent Force' with an account of Capt MacKay's DFC exploit. I tried posting it here, but without success.

Capt MacKay is the third from the left in the photograph of No 55 Sqn officers below. Interestingly, the pilot on MacKay's right is Lt W E Johns, who went on to write the 'Biggles' series of books after being shot down and taken PoW on 16 September 1918 while flying DH4 F5712.

Cheers again

post-25-1082440087.jpg

Hi Dolphin

Looking at Capt MacKay's citation he was a extraordinarily brave young man. The group photo is remarkable - all those smiling young faces. Is Gompertz (the chap MacKay was shot down with on 10th November) in the snap?

Any idea who the chap in the lighter coloured uniform is?

Yes, I would be grateful for sight of of an extract Keith Rennies work. I will PM you.

With very many thanks

Jimmy

Jimmy

First of all, an apology for omitting three key words from my earlier post: ' the middle row of ' between 'in' and 'the photograph ' were in the draft, but somehow missed the final. I suspect a problem between chair and keyboard.

The officer in the pale blue RAF uniform isn't identified. Looking at it, one can perhaps see why the initial RAF issue wasn't popular and, also, why the Imperial Russian Cavalry colour that replaced it was more welcome. The other officers are in either RFC or USAS khaki.

Lt Harry Christopher Travers Gompertz isn't identified in the photograph. He was commissioned in the Royal Field Artillery before moving to the RFC in August 1917, being confirmed in the RAF in June 1918. He was wounded in the shoulder on 30 August 1918 while flying with Lt S L Dowdeswell in DH4 A8069 of No 55 Sqn. Gompertz was credited with five aerial victories, three with Capt MacKay and two on 30 August with Lt Dowdeswell.

I'll send more information to your adddress.

Cheers

Dolphin

Info received and much appreciated.

Regards

Jimmy

Dolphin,

The caption on my copy of the same photograph from 'Cross and Cockade' Magazine, Vol 24, No 4 indicates that Mackay was in the back row, third from the left. I was left a bit confused by your typing error. The photograph was taken at Azelot in early September 1918.

Alec

Alec and Jimmy

I'll get this right eventually! Alec is correct, Capt Mackay and Lt Johns are in the back, repeat back, row.

Sorry

Many thanks, gents.

Regards

Jimmy

• 12 years later...

Hello, I found this very old (2004) thread while researching into my family history.

Capt. MacKay was my mother's second cousin; it was she who told me his tragic story. I own a 19th-century sea chest which once belonged to him, and remember meeting, as a teenager, his sister, the distinguished consultant paediatrician Dr Helen MacKay, FRCP (the first woman to be elected to this distinction).

I would love to have the photos of him, but the links on the forum are broken, Is there some way I can get hold of these?

Best wishes, G.A.

+1 here for photographs. Capt Mackay was a colleague of my great-grand uncle, Major A Gray MC - 55 Squadron's CO from January-Oct/Nov 1918. I have 55's squadron logbook scans for their IF raids somewhere in my documents, I'll have to find them. 

• 7 months later...