Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Medal Inscription

John Beech

Just a thought................

A relative was awarded the War Medal and Victory Medal for service with the RAF towards the end of the war. When the war ended, he was an Aircraftsman III Class. When his medals were issued in November 1921, he was an Aircraftsman II Class, having stayed in the RAF with the Army of Occupation. Which rank would show on his medals?? With his serial number being 265273, how would this be shown on his medals? - 265273 AC3 (or AC2) G W E Beech RAF or 265273 Aircraftsman 3 (or 2) G W E Beech RAF

Any help would be appreciated.

highest rank achieved over seas should be on the medals - well is for the army, RAF may differ

highest rank achieved over seas should be on the medals - well is for the army, RAF may differ

Coldstreamer,

Many thanks for the reply

Regards

John

It depends on the date for when he was promoted, was it after the cut off point for the medals? They might have been issued in 1921, but the qualifications dates were before that! Do you have his service record?

I've noticed that his 6 digit service number starts with a 2. I was told many years ago that RAF 6 digit numbers beginning with 2 were previous members of RFC or RNAS. Is this actually correct?

Cheers,

David

I was told many years ago that RAF 6 digit numbers beginning with 2 were previous members of RFC or RNAS. Is this actually correct?

It's partly correct. The RAF numbering system was a continuation of the RFC system, so the majority of WWI RAF service numbers were formally RFC numbers. RNAS squadron number were turned into RAF ones by putting 2 in front and their service numbers were made 6 digit ones beginning with 2, but that range only went up to 255000. Later numbers either joined after 1 April 1918 or were other transfers.

It's partly correct. The RAF numbering system was a continuation of the RFC system, so the majority of WWI RAF service numbers were formally RFC numbers. RNAS squadron number were turned into RAF ones by putting 2 in front and their service numbers were made 6 digit ones beginning with 2, but that range only went up to 255000. Later numbers either joined after 1 April 1918 or were other transfers.

Ah, that explains it all then. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

David

It depends on the date for when he was promoted, was it after the cut off point for the medals? They might have been issued in 1921, but the qualifications dates were before that! Do you have his service record?

Thanks for your reply. He was promoted to Aircraftsman 2nd Class in 1919, does this make a difference as to how his medals were worded?

I've noticed that his 6 digit service number starts with a 2. I was told many years ago that RAF 6 digit numbers beginning with 2 were previous members of RFC or RNAS. Is this actually correct?

Cheers,

David