Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Ian Murphy

I am looking to start researching the history of particularly the 10th Bn (but also the Regiment in general) in memory of the two soldiers listed below. They were my in-laws paternal grandfathers - amazing to think that they might have known each other.

I know nothing more than I think George took part in the Battle of Loos and John was killed on the 3rd day of the Somme. I would greatly appreciate advice on books and any other pointers towards literature / other media that would help me learn more about their part in the Great War, particularly the details of the action that cost their lives.

Sanford George Private 8537

Grave Ref: I.G.4 at Brown's Road Military Cemetery, Festubert

Bradshaw John Henry Private 14612

Memorial Ref: Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B Thiepval Memorial

Many thanks,

Ian

There was no battalion history published after WW1. However, there was a 19th Division War History published. Sections of the original War Diary of the 10th Royal Warwicks can be downloaded from the National Archives at a price. The Fusiliers Museum (Royal Warwickshire) at St John's House, Warwick, will also have a copy of the Diary.

I have severals sections of the War Diary downloaded aswell, if I can help.

Checking the entry for 23 October 1915, the battalion was holding the trenches IND i.a. (perhaps another forum member could help with that) near Richbourg St Vaast.

"A fine day. Very Quiet. The C.O. went round trenches in morning. No working parties."

CASUALTY - No.8537 Pte Sandford. Bullet- Head. D Coy.

Seems like a German sniper got him.

Pte Bradshaw was killed in the vicinity of La Boiselle when the 19th Div took the village. All four Coys of the battalion were used in support and helped consolidate the village and hold a new line of trench from X13d 10.7 south towards the 'L' of La Boiselle.

Again, I am sure a forum pal would help with a map of that area.

Terry

post-66-1249390292.jpg

Bradshaw...

Birmingham Weekly Post Aug 5 and Aug 12 1916....

Twin brother killed November 13 1914 in South Staffs Rgt. The one cited lived in Saltley and was employed by Handsworth Town Council and for many years had a prominent part in the Handsworth Prize Band and the Aston Villa Band.

Born Leamington. Enlisted Birmingham.

'A' Coy 10th Bn.

Parents William (deceased) and Sarah. Husband of Florence of 3/228 Winson Green Rd, Winson Green. She was left a widow with 5 children all under 14.

Terry,

Many thanks for the detail of your reply. It was so much more information that I possibly expected, I thought at best I might get general information regarding the action, never the details of their deaths.

My father-in-law has not until today known any of these details and he is very appreciative and grateful for your help, and wishes to pass on his personal thanks.

I work only a few miles from St John's house, I'll call tomorrow and arrange a visit.

very best regards,

Ian.

Ian,

The book Terry refers to is

"The Nineteenth Division 1914-1918" by Everard Wyrall. It was published in the 1930s and republished by Naval and Military Press (who have a sale on at the moment!).

It's a reasonable general account and has some good maps.

Phil

Hi Ian

Glad to be of help.

I have added the map again with the positions the 10th consolidated on 3 July 1916, from the reference in the war diary. Between the two green lines.

I am going to the Somme at the end of September. I can take a few pictures of the village if you want and also his name on the Thiepval Memorial.

Let me know. I would do it with pleasure.

regards

Terry

post-66-1249400931.jpg

Bradshaw...

Birmingham Weekly Post Aug 5 and Aug 12 1916....

Twin brother killed November 13 1914 in South Staffs Rgt. The one cited lived in Saltley and was employed by Handsworth Town Council and for many years had a prominent part in the Handsworth Prize Band and the Aston Villa Band.

Born Leamington. Enlisted Birmingham.

'A' Coy 10th Bn.

Parents William (deceased) and Sarah. Husband of Florence of 3/228 Winson Green Rd, Winson Green. She was left a widow with 5 children all under 14.

Alan,

Thanks for the background information on John Henry (his employment with the council was the only piece of information known to my father-in-law). Charles was the name the twin of John Henry Bradshaw (I have listed his CWGC casualty details below) and lodged with him at 3/228 Winson Green Road. I didn't add the details in my request about Charles because he was South Staffs (I also have family casualties from the Lancashire Fusilier and Coldstream Guards yet to add to my debt of honour requests from the Western Front plus possibly the Worcestershires at Gallipoli!!). Can you recommend any books about the South Staffs?

Bradshaw Charles Private 6210

2nd Bn South Staffs Regt

Grave Ref: III A 20 Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery

Many thanks,

Ian.

Hi Ian

Glad to be of help.

I have added the map again with the positions the 10th consolidated on 3 July 1916, from the reference in the war diary. Between the two green lines.

I am going to the Somme at the end of September. I can take a few pictures of the village if you want and also his name on the Thiepval Memorial.

Let me know. I would do it with pleasure.

regards

Terry

Terry,

I have photographs of his memorial at Thiepval (we visited last November) but we had absolutely no idea about the details of his death so pictures of La Boiselle would be greatly appreciated as our next visit will focus on Ypres.

Once again thank you very much indeed for your information and help.

Ian.

To be going on with. Thiepval Panel. Twin brother was a regular.

post-17223-1249410386.jpg

Ian,

The book Terry refers to is

"The Nineteenth Division 1914-1918" by Everard Wyrall. It was published in the 1930s and republished by Naval and Military Press (who have a sale on at the moment!).

It's a reasonable general account and has some good maps.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the advice and the saving of nearly £120 vs Amazon!!!!

Ian.

• 5 years later...

Hi Ian/Terry/Alan

Wow I have found this extremely interesting, John Henry Bradshaw was my grandfather and Charles my great uncle, I knew that my grandfather had died in the Somme and the dates etc but the details mentioned above are completely new to me. I am fairly new to tracing back for information so this has been most helpful,

Thankyou

Veronica

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I to have found this extremely interesting, I'm also researching the 10th royal warwickshires and my great great uncle James Ernest Foxall was killed in action on the 3rd day of the somme st la boiselle, I'm trying to find some pics of the battalion but drawing a bit if a blank.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Ian i don't knw if you are still looking for information on John henry Bradshaw and his twin Brother Charles but i am their grant grandaughter we dont really know too much about them but we do know little bits and actually have a photo of them both. 

Thanks 

Jenny 

• 2 years later...

My French brother in law lives in Nieppe which was on the front line near Armentieres. He is very knowledgeable about WW1 and runs a small museum in the local Chateau. He has emailed me info. about a soldier from 10th Warwickshire Regt. who met a local girl. She had a daughter in 1916. They married a year later in 1917. They lived in Birminham after the war and relatives exist. So they were based for a time there. My bro in law has found a number of soldiers based there who married English girls! One settled in Nieppe and their son who could speak English and French fought in the resistance in Nieppe and close by at the tender age of 16. He has written a book....off topic now. Interesting links though.