Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying this again.

EllenDean

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's considerably later than 1861. You'd need trade badge experts (Grumpy?), but I think he's a musician and some form of musketry instructor. He also has a three-year(?) good conduct badge, and a collar dog which might be worth enlarging, if possible.

I think it's later than 1861, though.

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's considerably later than 1861. You'd need trade badge experts (Grumpy?), but I think he's a musician and some form of musketry instructor. He also has a three-year(?) good conduct badge, and a collar dog which might be worth enlarging, if possible.

I think it's later than 1861, though.

His name is William Mullen (Mullan). His daughter Elizabeth was born in India in 1861. Thats when we know for sure he was there. How long before or after that is unsure. We are prepared to accept yes it could have been after. Your information is great thank you for your time. Its a great start. As regards enlarging, I've tried everthing to make the collar clearer. I may need an expert in photography to help, not sure even they can, i'll try though. Thanks.

His name is William Mullen (Mullan). His daughter Elizabeth was born in India in 1861. Thats when we know for sure he was there. How long before or after that is unsure. We are prepared to accept yes it could have been after. Your information is great thank you for your time. Its a great start. As regards enlarging, I've tried everthing to make the collar clearer. I may need an expert in photography to help, not sure even they can, i'll try though. Thanks.

Also if it helps the family is Irish origin, so it maybe an Irish regiment.

Looks like 1890's. Difficult to see detail on the collar badges.

Scott

Broomers drew my attention to this alternative thread!

Yes bandsman, yes Marksman, yes one three-year [or just possibly two if later] good conduct badge.

Definately much later than 1861 and the fact he's wearing collar badges with his KD, have me thinking post 1920. Sadly I can't make the collar badges out either despite downloading.

I'm glad you said that, Graham, because that was what I was thinking when I said later than 1861. The hair style doesn't look mid-Victorian to me, either: 1861, surely he'd have had whiskers - we're talking just post-Mutiny, surely?

I'm glad you said that, Graham, because that was what I was thinking when I said later than 1861. The hair style doesn't look mid-Victorian to me, either: 1861, surely he'd have had whiskers - we're talking just post-Mutiny, surely?
. .

I'm starting to think this is the son of who we thought it was. We will have to go back to the drawing boards. Anyway we have more information at this point than we had this morning. Thank you all. It's a great start. It's a deffinite relative just a matter of father or son. He is either the father or brother of our great great grandmother who as I said was born in India in 1861.

• 2 months later...

Given that it is a cabinet photograph it is much later than 1861. Cabinet photographs were in fashion right up until about 1910 when the postcard type of photograph became popular.