Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Picture id.

EllenDean

34ouix0.jpg

Can anyone identify the regiment. We know he was in India in 1861 as his daughter Elizabeth was born there at that time. His name is William Mullen. He is my great great great grandfather. Any info would be great, thanks.

The picture is enlarged so much that most of the detail is gone - he does have a musician's badge on his right sleeve though.

The picture is enlarged so much that most of the detail is gone - he does have a musician's badge on his right sleeve though.

The picture quality is the actual picture we have, unfortunately I can not get it any clearer no matter how big or small. The information you have given is very helpful. I have tried many times to get the picture clearer but can't. Thanks.

I dispute the date unless there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

The bandsman badge [not musician!] is unlikelyto be period, although I cannot make out the crown. The gilding metal badge was around in Home service from c. 1888, It is just possible that the Indian Government, responsible for producing badges and uniforms for British units in India, introduced the 'modern' band badge before Home Service The KD frock appears to be Indian pattern pre-1906 or so.

If the photo is beyond doubt 1860s, it pushes the use of the badge back many years, and I would be glad to be allowed to work on an undoctored version of the photo.

I dispute the date unless there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

The bandsman badge [not musician!] is unlikelyto be period, although I cannot make out the crown. The gilding metal badge was around in Home service from c. 1888, It is just possible that the Indian Government, responsible for producing badges and uniforms for British units in India, introduced the 'modern' band badge before Home Service The KD frock appears to be Indian pattern pre-1906 or so.

If the photo is beyond doubt 1860s, it pushes the use of the badge back many years, and I would be glad to be allowed to work on an undoctored version of the photo.

Hi and thank you, I have posted the same photo but a wider view its on page two by now. I would be grateful for your imput. No there are no certain facts here. We do know his daughter was born in Inida in 1861/2 and she married in Dublin in 1883. We have heard his name is William Mullin/Mullen. We belive this to be him but again no certain facts yet, we are merely at this point trying to id the regiment and possible year. We were given the photo and told it was him. Again the orignal photo is under Ellen2 called trying this again.

Hi and thank you, I have posted the same photo but a wider view its on page two by now. I would be grateful for your imput. No there are no certain facts here. We do know his daughter was born in Inida in 1861/2 and she married in Dublin in 1883. We have heard his name is William Mullin/Mullen. We belive this to be him but again no certain facts yet, we are merely at this point trying to id the regiment and possible year. We were given the photo and told it was him. Again the orignal photo is under Ellen2 called trying this again.

The orignal photo is currently in the UK ( I am in Dublin ) and it will take me a week or more to get hold of it. If I can, I will forward it to you if I could, thanks Ellen.

FAO Grumpy

Also on THIS thread

Ellen, is it possible it's not the man you think it is?

In the meantime I will write out 500 times -It is not a Musician's badge it is a Bandsman's badge.