Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relatives meetings

cs_cooper

I am pleased to be able to let pals know that things are moving on the home front.

Those of us who have registered an possible interest have been invited to meetings to meet with the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre staff and either Prof. Cox or Dr. Jones for us to receive updates and discuss DNA processes.

Meetings have been organised at the following venues.

Royal Warwickshire Museum 10th. and 17th. August.

Gloucestershire Museum 18th. and 19th. August.

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry (Museum?) 10th September.

Chalkie.

I'm hoping to go to Gloucester on 18th August. Unfortunately I don't meet any of the NOK/DNA criteria that have been circulated, but will still go along with my father ( his grandmother was the sister of Pte Albert Raisey, Glos Regt who has no direct descendants)

Thank you to Melvyn for alerting us to this through Genes Reunited

I have previously mentioned the tick box list that was sent to us with some frankly stupid relationships (eldest Brother comes to mind), and you might like to read the reply from Melpack, but do not worry, from my recent research into DNA, I think that your Father's relationship is ideal for testing.

I do hope so, so that the dignity of a named gravestone might be given.

I think that the relationship of the Duke of Edinburgh to the Tsarina of all the Russians was similar, and it was good enough there.

We have today received a phone call from the MOD acknowledging our place at Warwick on the 17. August.

Chalkie

Hello Orlando

Welcome to the forum.

As Chalkie has indicated, as your father is the great nephew of Albert, it means that if his mother was the daughter of Albert's sister then he is a perfect source for Mt DNA. MtDNA is transmitted via the female to the male and female but the female can only pass it on to the next generation.

So if your father's mother was a daughter of Albert's sister then he will have exactly the same MtDNA as Albert.

If, however, he is the son of a son of Albert's sister then he would have inherited his own mother's MtDNA and the YDNA of his father which he inherited in turn from his father, the husband of Albert's sister. In this instance the test that could be carried out (subject to the viability of Albert's sample if found) is the autosomal test because your father will have approximately one eigth of his chromosomes in common with Albert.

Mel

Hi Mel

Please don't take this the wrong way as it is a genuine query. Do you have some particular expertise in DNA testing and forensic pathology?

TR

My father & his brothers are related to Albert Raisey through the paternal side.

However their uncle 'should' be a MtDNA candidate from your informative post on another thread (I have been lurking here since you contacted me). Unfortunately he is now in his 80s and not up to travelling to the relatives meetings. Shame as he remembers Albert's siblings - though not Albert himself.

Hello Orlando

Welcome to the forum.

As Chalkie has indicated, as your father is the great nephew of Albert, it means that if his mother was the daughter of Albert's sister then he is a perfect source for Mt DNA. MtDNA is transmitted via the female to the male and female but the female can only pass it on to the next generation.

So if your father's mother was a daughter of Albert's sister then he will have exactly the same MtDNA as Albert.

If, however, he is the son of a son of Albert's sister then he would have inherited his own mother's MtDNA and the YDNA of his father which he inherited in turn from his father, the husband of Albert's sister. In this instance the test that could be carried out (subject to the viability of Albert's sample if found) is the autosomal test because your father will have approximately one eigth of his chromosomes in common with Albert.

Mel

Orlando

That is great news that one of Albert's nephews via a sister is still alive. The sampling is only by a cheek swab so I have no doubt that could be arranged without the need for the uncle to travel.

I hope that you enjoy the meeting.

Mel

Terry

I do not have expertise in either field. I have read widely around the subject and discussed it with others at length.

I am interested in the transmision of DNA from one generation to the next which, although a little bit tricky, is readily comprehendable with some application. I know very little about the actual science.

Mel

Ps I took your question as a completely legitimate query so absolutely no offence taken.

I am pleased to be able to let pals know that things are moving on the home front.

Those of us who have registered an possible interest have been invited to meetings to meet with the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre staff and either Prof. Cox or Dr. Jones for us to receive updates and discuss DNA processes.

Meetings have been organised at the following venues.

Royal Warwickshire Museum 10th. and 17th. August.

Gloucestershire Museum 18th. and 19th. August.

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry (Museum?) 10th September.

Chalkie.

Is any one planning to go to the meeting on 17th August in Warwick?

Richard

Went to meeting in Warwick on Monday.

Dr Peter Jones was there and confirmed DNA from remains was viable and testing would proceed.

Focus seems likely to be on MtDNA. No indication of %age of remains yielding viable DNA.

Project length confirmed as 5 years. Seeking chains, male-male-male or female-female-female.

No guidance sheets given out.

Tests will be conducted by post, not told when. Kits + instructions will be sent out with pre-paid envelopes.

Told that, for identified soldiers, there will be sponsored trips, for2, and reserved seating next July.