Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plas Tudno Auxiliary Hospital at Llandudno

Chris_Baker

• 2 weeks later...

I looked in an archive book of Llandudno, but with no success. I have an old town plan that I bought for the location of the drill hall and will dig it out (don't hold your breath).

Have you considered asking the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Historical Society? Email: info [at] lcbhs.org.uk

Chris

A quick Google suggests that it was previously (and perhaps subsequently) a school. Presumably demolished some while back. Perhaps the local council (Conwy) has a "local images" collection at the main library - Andy Hesketh is probably the man to ask.

John

Where did you get that, John? Any more details?

Chris, before the turn of the century there was a property called Plas Tudno on the northern edge of the 'main shore' part of Llandudno. Comparing the road system with a modern map, I believe it would be on Ty Gwyn Road near the junction with Plas Road.

Gwyn

Just Googling - and that's all there seems to be.

Quite a few houses for sale listed as being at "Plas Tudno". My local geography is a bit sketchy but I think these are towards the "inland" edge of town (towards Colwyn) - is that where you mean by "northern"?

John

No - where the town can't go any further north because it becomes mountain (Pen-y-Dinas). By 'main shore' part I meant the part of town that isn't the West Shore. Ty Gwyn Road is on Google Maps.

Of course this might be a complete red herring.

Gwyn

the local library might be able to suggest someone with local knowledge, or to pass on a request.

Keith

A Miss Madelaine Antoinette Grace Saunders, Matron of the Plas Tudno and St Tudno Auxilliary Hospital Llandudno was awarded the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class in June 1918.

There was also the following hospital in Llandudno which had 27 beds and was in existance in 1915: Red Cross Military Hospital,Red Court, Church Walks, the Commandant was a Miss Florence H Wright. I have no idea if this might have been the Plas Tudno Hospital. There was also the Balmoral Red Cross/Auxiliary Hospital.

I only go there shopping so don't have any knowledge about the location of any of these but hope that the info might be of some help.

Aled

• 2 months later...

My great-aunt was a nurse during World War 1. We have an old post card that shows her address as The Balmoral RCH, Trinity Square, Llandudno, Wales, in either May or March of 1919. Looking at the information in these posts, I imagine RCH stands for Red Cross/Auxiliary Hospital.

I googled The Balmoral - Trinity Square and it seems there is either a hotel or appartments/condos there now. Maybe they used a hotel as a temporary hospital during the war? Apparently, for a donation, the Red Cross will look through their personnel records.

This post helped fill in some blanks for me, thank you. If anyone would have any additional information about this hospital, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Doug

• 3 months later...
Guest davellandudno

Plas Tudno was a large mansion that is now flats. I've attached an old pic that shows one side of it

post-53526-1266411008.jpg

Dave

The Balmoral is now an empty building but was previously holiday apartments for many years. Here's a recent pic:

post-53526-1266411142.jpg

Dave