Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EEF - People

ddycher

All

Revisiting the formation of the XX1 Corps and 75th Division and picked up on a note I had missed first time round. Allenby's appointment of Edward Bulfin was at the time deemed to have been somewhat of a gamble. I understand he was more active as a Bde commander than a divisional GOC but does anyone have any thoughts or ref's on why his appointment was deemed risky ?

Regards

Dave

There is nothing to suggest that Bulfin's appointment was deemed risky - if anything Allenby makes it very clear in his letter of the 19 July 1917 to Robertson * - 'Bulfin will make a good Corps Commander, and I shall be glad to have him. I know him well, as a staunch fighter.'

Allenby wrote to Wigram* on the 22 December 1917 in which he refers: XX1 Corps are now pushing the Turks N. of the R.Auja, and gaining ground in the Vale of Sharon. Both Bulfin, of that Corps; and Chetwode, of XX have done brilliantly. Jerusalam was captured in exactly 40 days from the start of the campaign'. Both these letters can be found in Allenby in Palestine the Middle East Correspondence of FM Viscount Allenby - by Mathew Hughes as published by the Army Records Society in 2004 (ISBN 0 7509 3841 2)

Wavell*** in his book The Campaigns in Palestine page 144 in the pursuit through Philiistia says for the 7th November 1917:

'Meanwhile General Bulfin on the left pressed the pursuit of the Turks withdrawn from Gaza as energetically as his limited resources in transport would allow.'

So far I have yet to see any evidence to suggest Bulfin was considered a risky commander. Edward Bulfin gets a good write up in Wikipedia.

*FM Sir William Robertson(1866-1933)

** Sir Clive Wigram, 1st Baron Wigram of Clewer (1873-1960) Assistant Private Secretray and Equery to the King 1910-31.

*** FM Sir A. P.Wavell, 1st Earl of Wavell (1883-1950).

Looking at the wording of the letter of 19th July 1917; Allenby to Robertson

it is not clear who appointed Bulfin; was it Allenby, or did he come from 'above'?

regards

Michael

Stepping back to the 12 July 1917 - Allenby outlines his proposals in a fairly lengthy letter to Robertson:

Allenby proposed to re-organise the Palestine Force to form two corps and one cavalry corps, all three directly under General Headquarters. The additional needs to form 2 fully trained divisions being itemised in some detail by way of an essential requirements list.

There is no mention at this stage as to who might command the Corps.

I suspect Allenby may well have couched the words carefully. Bulfin is item 6 of 7 specific topics, within Allenby's letter of the 19th July, which he knew would be carefully scrutinised back home by the CIGS, the War Cabinet and others.

Robertson responds on the 1st August and says I shall do my best to send you out all I can spare in time for September.

On the 26th July Allenby is writing to Robertson stating 'I was offered a few days ago, a Major-General Stuart Wortley, laterly from France, where, apparently he lacked experiance. I refused him.' There being no vacancy in the EEF for a Major General. Later in the letter Allenby makes the point that 'a Divisional Commander in this country has more work on horseback, and lives a harder life by far, than a Divisional Commander in France.'

It is very evident from the correspondence between Allenby and Robertson that when it came to Corps and Divisional Staff appointments Allenby had very clear ideas as to who he wanted and sought Robertson's approval - naming individuals for specific posts which are quickly approved by Robertson.

By its very nature the book is selected letters and although I also have the Military Correspondence of FM Sir William Robertson also published by The Army Records Society - the letters are very selective, although every effort has been made to pick up responses as appropriate.

Philip / Michael

Thanks for this.

From what I can gather reservations came from promoting a commander of a yet as unproven 2nd line territorial unit who had little divisional command experience although a v.successful brigade commander. Interesting as to whether it was an Allenby request or from above. I had assumed, maybe wrongly, that it was driven by Allenby as Bulfin had served under him (as had Chetwode) previously.

There is no question once appointed he was a successful Corps commander.

Having recently arrived from Salonika - he had been in country little over a month on his appointment - I would have thought there were a number of senior ranking generals in the EEF who he would have been appointed over. Now working my way through the list.

Regards

Dave

War is full of what ifs and personalities - not all of whom worked well together.

Had Bulfin not been wounded whilst commanding the 2nd Infantry Brigade near Ypres in 1914 when they 'took a lot of metal from my head' on the 3rd November matters might have been different. After a period of recuperation at home he returned to command the 28th Division in 1915 and 60th Division from 1915-17 and from 1917 to 1919 commanded 21st Corps in Palestine and Syria.

Philip

...Interesting as to whether it was an Allenby request or from above. I had assumed, maybe wrongly, that it was driven by Allenby...Having recently arrived from Salonika - he had been in country little over a month on his appointment - I would have thought there were a number of senior ranking generals in the EEF who he would have been appointed over. Now working my way through the list.

Dave,

If you make any progress on this then do let us know please

best regards

Michael

Dave,

Am I right in thinking that picture–wise, Bulfin is almost anonymous?

The link here

shows an investiture by the Duke of Connaught, held in Jerusalem in early 1918

The first officer on the right is Allenby

I am reliably informed that the second is Chetwode

Is the third Bulfin?

regards

Michael

I have now found a photograph which includes Bulfin

see here AWM Collection Record A02746A - 19 March 1918 Mt of Olives looking towards Jericho; EEF senior officers plus the Bishop of Jerusalem and the Duke of Conaught

J. M. Bourne's book 'Who's Who in World War I' has the following:

"Although an exacting commander, he retained the regimental officers' concern for the welfare of his men. In his professional competence and humane paternalism he represented the best qualities of the Edwardian officer corps."

Bourne also has the following insight to his character: "Bulfin was a man of very conciderable moral as well as physical courage, perfectly prepared to tell his superiors uncomfortable truths."

Bourne may well have been thinking of the following, as described in RAAF Air Power Development Centre Working Paper 6 - Gen Sir E Allenby's Joint Operations in Palestine 1917-18 by John Mordike

"Describing the carnage caused by the air attack on the Turkish troops during the final battle, Salmond said that Lt-Gen Bulfin had confronted him with the comment that: 'You are a butcher - you call that fighting.'" [the ref given is Salmond to Sykes Sept 1918 'Allenby's Victory over the Turks' Air1/725/115/1 PRO]

best regards

Michael

Michael

Your photo of the last post is the best I have seen so far. I have been able to find almost no photo's of him and where I have they are group shots none as good as the one above. So thanks for this.

Finding Bulfin an interesting search. Very little on him and many anomalies that I dont understand. We keep you updated as I progress.

Philip - thanks for the input.

Regards

Dave