Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone tell me anything about this tank?

high wood

A small, poor quality photograph of a British Tank, slightly post Great War judging by the letters R.A.O.C. painted on the side. The serial number 1502 is visible on the side. It seems that both sponsons have been removed and it is possible that the tank is being modified or even broken up.

post-6480-1249144495.jpg

Did women ever drive tanks?

unecessary sexist comments removed.

Retlaw.

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

Judging by the men it looks whippet sized ( though of course it isn't actually a whippet!)

R.A.S.C i think (Jam stealers by any other name but what are they doing with it.

Bears investigation, a photo like that.

Thanks for posting this. 1502 was indeed a Medium B, the second built by Coventry Ordnance Works in Glasgow.

I don't think it's being modifed or broken up. This type doesn't really have sponsons, just side doors (though these were built out somewhat). I think this tank has both doors open so you can see through it, and this gives the impression it's got bits missing. I'm sure I've seen another post war tank photo showing a machine with RASC painted on it, but I've no idea why.

Nor can I make out what the glum bloke in civvies is doing sitting on top.

Gwyn

Hi All

just a thought, the driver is getting driving lessons in the tank, bloke on top facing backwards is there to help, bit like a rear view mirror, the dorrs are open so the driver can here what his instructers are telling him to do, RASC is on the tank because its there job to teach squaddies how to drive cars, wagons and tank's, sounds daft but seen dafter when i was in :D:D

any body beat that :P

I think it is in Ireland and they have taken someone in for questionning. It goes like this - answer my question or we put it in first and your house gets it. :D

17tankman

There was a second picture that came from the same source that might give a clue to the location. It appears to be the gate house of a barracks and there may be an Irish connection as the photograhs came from the Auchinleck/Darling family.

post-6480-1249205766.jpg

I understand that at one time (early post war) consideration was given to putting all supply tanks under RASC control but then supply tanks seem to have vanished anyway. However I've never heard of the Medium B being used as a supply tank.

In 1926 the RAOC was given the responsibility of repairing and maintaining all British Army AFCs the RTC only doing immediate repairs in the field (In WW2 this part of RAOC became the core of the REME).

Medium Bs were used in Ireland by C Company, 17th (AC) Battalion Tank Corps. If it's one of their Medium Bs, it's the first photo I've seen of one in Ireland. So, this might well be a bit of a find.

Gwyn

• 1 year later...

Were any of the Auchinlek/Darling Family based in Dublin in the 1920s. I have an impression that there might be a railway line in the background. Of the photo with the officers. Could the centre figure be in a railway uniform. It has features in common with a former British base beside the Royal Hospital near Heuston (formerly Kingsbridge station) in Dublin. I will check further to see if i can match the photo.