Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

help with my grnadfather's war record

chrystyne

i would be very grateful if anybody could shed any light on the war record of my grandfather who served with the Kings Royal Rifles both ib South Africa and in WW1, his name was William Alfred Corser and his no was 2271. he was taken prisoner and was at Wittenberg where his no i believe was 3274 and later transferred to Merseberg where his number was 6454. and on another piece of correspondence i have is British prisoner of War No 19891. He never spoke of his war record but i know he had a bullet in his spine which the Germans would not remove, it never was seen to bother him, but as both my uncles are deceased and he never talked to any of his daughters i have been left with information i would like to put some bones on if possible.

Also i am trying to find the grave of my great uncle who died in WW1 he was also in the Kings Royal rifles, he is not listed as being in a cCommonwealth War Cemetary. his name was Hubert ? John Draper and his number was 15026 and he was in the 7th KKR i have a Christmas card that lists Ypres; Arras and the Somme, but i believe he was wounded in mesopotamia and sent to India where he died.

Hubert was born in Hampton-in-Arden in Warwickshire.

I do hope somebody can help me my aunt who is 95 is anxious to know if her uncle has a grave.

thanks

There is a W.A. Corser with the 1st Kings Royal Rifle Corps landed in France 13/08/1914 as a Private.

Also six pages of details with Pension details.

Joined Nov 22, 1899 at Gosport, Hants. and was a pre-war regular.

Served in Boer War eligible for Queens South Africa Medal, 1914 Star and clasps, British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Reported missing 3rd Nov. 1914.

1900 to 1905 posted to Egypt and Malta.

Married Eleanor Draper 1st June 1914 in Arden.

In 1901 he was charged with 'improper behaviour' and with losing a horse, naughty boy.

1907 charged with interefering with duties of guard commander.

1907 Khartoum.

Discharged from service to 'Class Z Reserve' 13/06/1919 after release from being a POW.

1x child Beryl Elizabeth born 04/04/1915.

It is all there on Ancestry.co.uk

Dick

Hi and welcome to the Forum,This is your man Huberts MIC. as you can see he was in the KRR & The 4th London Regiment

post-10020-1249143642.jpg

He is on The CWGC.

D.O.D--01/09/1918

Cemetery-- Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension.

As you can see he was in France.

All the best Gary.

Hi and welcome to the Forum,This is your man Huberts MIC. as you can see he was in the KRR & The 4th London Regiment

post-10020-1249143642.jpg

He is on The CWGC.

D.O.D--01/09/1918

Cemetery-- Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension.

All the best Gary.

Born: Hampton in Arden

Resided: Brimingham

KIA: 01/09/1918

Unit: 2nd/4th London Regt RRF

No. 84039

Formerly with 7th KRRC

Dick

Hi,

I have found this in ancestry.co.uk for your great uncle. He apears to have two regimental numbers and also his name is listed as Herbert John Draper. Link for this is http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...&recoff=2+3

You will have to pay to sse the record. However details are

Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C.

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919

about Herbert John Draper Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name:Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Herbert John DraperBirth Place:Hampton-IN-Arden Residence:Birmingham Death Date:1 Sep 1918Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden Rank:Private Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Battalion:Posted 2/4th London. Number:84039 Type of Casualty:Killed in action Theater of War:Aldershot Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C. Name: Herbert John Draper

Birth Place: Hampton-IN-Arden

Residence:Birmingham

Death Date:1 Sep 1918

Enlistment Location:Hampton-IN-Arden

Regiment:Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

Battalion:Posted 2/4th London.

Number:84039

Type of Casualty:Killed in action

Theater of War:Aldershot

Comments:Formerly R/15026, 7Th K.R.R.C.

It says theater of war as Aldershot and does not say where he was killed. Lots of casulaties are listed as Aldershot. I have know idea why this is. You will find it though with the name Herbert.

Regards Paul

re help with my grandfather's war record

many thanks for your replies, i always knew he was a "bit of a lad" and have inherited some photos and post cards to prove it. have a "lovely" photos of him in a prisoner of war camp with the russians on one side of the barbed wire and the rest on the other. things don't seem to have changed much it seems!!!!

as regards my great uncle i had seen the entry for herbert john draper but discounted it as a local history of HAmpton-in -Arden lists his death as 1915!!!! shows how wrong they can be also.

oncxe again many thanks i would still be grateful for anything else anyone can add.

ps i know not strictly relevant but are there computerised records for medical records for injuries in service and also pre WW1 records

re help with my grandfather's war record

many thanks for your replies, i always knew he was a "bit of a lad" and have inherited some photos and post cards to prove it. have a "lovely" photos of him in a prisoner of war camp with the russians on one side of the barbed wire and the rest on the other. things don't seem to have changed much it seems!!!!

as regards my great uncle i had seen the entry for herbert john draper but discounted it as a local history of HAmpton-in -Arden lists his death as 1915!!!! shows how wrong they can be also.

oncxe again many thanks i would still be grateful for anything else anyone can add.

ps i know not strictly relevant but are there computerised records for medical records for injuries in service and also pre WW1 records

His military record sheet for injuries illness should be in the papers that have been quoted to you. However, I did not spot them in there.

Maybe you could scan some of his pics onto this site for everyone to see.

I for one am always interested.

Dick

His military record sheet for injuries illness should be in the papers that have been quoted to you. However, I did not spot them in there.

Maybe you could scan some of his pics onto this site for everyone to see.

I for one am always interested.

Dick

Hi Dick

I have quite a few photos and i will try to scan them in and post them, not very good with a computer though but will do my best - chrys, thanks for the info, i always wished i had asked these questions years ago but he died when i was very young

Hi Chrys

I am afraid we all have this experience, and regret not delving a little further while the people are here who know the full story.

Cheers,

Dick

• 1 month later...

Hi Chrys,

It appears we have the same great grandfather as my great grandfather was William Alfred Corser, my mothers side of the family are Corser's and my grandad Cyril Corser was Williams son. I have all the service/pension records for William and can confirm his medals are still around, my grandad passed them on to his son {my uncle} when he died.

It would be great to hear from you, I dont seem to be able to send you a message yet as I only joined last week and have only just been given access to reply on posts so sorry to everyone if this is a bit too personel for the forum but I have no other means at present of contacting Chrys.

So leave me a mail or post on here and I will reply when I get the chance.

Thanks

Green

hi green phantom

are you my cousin Heather's son? if so you can contact me at (...)

Chrys

Edited by MagicRat
Personal details removed

hi green phantom

are you my cousin Heather's son? if so you can contact me at (...)

i look forward to hearing from you

Chrys

Chrys: you might want to delete this reference to your e-mail. Bad people scan the Forum. Antony

Isn't it just nice when people find one another go for people.

Cheers Roger.

Isn't it just nice when people find one another go for people.

Cheers Roger.

It sure is, I have got your mail address dont worry I just wish my contacting other members feature was working but no harm done.

Thanks everyone

It sure is, I have got your mail address dont worry I just wish my contacting other members feature was working but no harm done.

Thanks everyone

Oh by the way does anyone know where there are records I can search online for Chelsea Pensioners? I found someone in my family line who died in 1848 and when I got the death cert back today it says he was a Chelsea Pensioner. I have googled this and it appears there are 2 types - Out pensioners who claimed pensions while living at home {based anywhere} and IN Pensioners who lived in the hospital in London. I know the hosital only gives out info for in pensioners and refers to going to 'Kew' to get records for out pensioners but is there any other method to get more info???

will do it was a bit of a shock getting a reply from a family member - thanks

We fully understand and are happy for you. Good luck. Antony

... I just wish my contacting other members feature was working ...

Thanks everyone

Greenphantom - that facility will "activate" when you've made a few more posts :D

And a big welcome to you both to the rifles family here on the Forum. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark