Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

H.M.S.Excellent (ex Drudge)

johnpetermoss

According to a previous post (HMS Excellent, ex Handy) not to be confused with HMS Excellent ex HMS Drudge. Started by demon1883 (May 16 2008) and replied to by Malcom

HMS Excellent (ex HMS Drudge)was a Gunboat from November 1916 until January 1919 this fits in with my father's service certificate 24Feb18 to 17May18 where he "Qual. in Gunnery" Ship's Books ref 3048.

From the picture it looks like a rather small craft, so would most of the trainee's be accommodated on shore, my question is what have been the badge awarded and where would it have been worn.

Peter

Peter,

From 1903 - 1939 the basic Seaman Gunners' badge was a gun with star above, worn on the upper right sleeve as in the attached photo.

David.

post-21239-1249165452.jpg

HMS Excellent was a gunnery school, its work was mainly carried out ashore and was on Whale Island, Portsmouth, its the oldest shore establishment in the Royal Navy.

Regards Charles

Peter,

From 1903 - 1939 the basic Seaman Gunners' badge was a gun with star above, worn on the upper right sleeve as in the attached photo.

David.

Hi David, many thanks for your reply, superb photo. I don't have any of my father in his sailor's uniform but I remember him once telling my about folding it to fit a kit bag.

Regards Peter

HMS Excellent was a gunnery school, its work was mainly carried out ashore and was on Whale Island, Portsmouth, its the oldest shore establishment in the Royal Navy.

Regards Charles

Thank you for the reply Charles, any idea what the 3048 in the "Ship's Book" meant?

Regards Peter

To put it the way that was previously used, your father was number 3048 on the muster.

The gunboat formally His Majesty's Ship Drudge was the nominal ship that the men belonged to for purposes of the Naval Discipline Act.

HMS Excellent Whale Island:

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/ot...llent/index.htm

HMS EXCELLENT GUNNERY SCHOOL CENTENNIAL - 1930 :

http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/5477...lsmilitaryarmed

Kath.

Excellent information Kath, had a quick look at the first lead, will need more time for the second.

Many thanks

P.S. dad came from Heeley

Regards Peter

To put it the way that was previously used, your father was number 3048 on the muster.

The gunboat formally His Majesty's Ship Drudge was the nominal ship that the men belonged to for purposes of the Naval Discipline Act.

Thanks for the info it just appeared to be a high number, the previous entry on "Victory",

another shore base I believe, he was listed as number 1936 tho' he was only there two months.

Regards Peter

Victory was the RN barracks at Portsmouth, both would have far more men on the books than could fit on the nominal ship!