Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Victory Medal Recipient

adrianmartin59

Hi People

I have just been handed a Victory Medal which has been in the family for some 40 years or so, it is not a family medal and we don't know where it came from.

It is the Victory Medal.

It is inscribed, 124655 (we are unsure about the number 6) Pte P Mitchinson Labour Corps.

We don't think it was a family member, my Mum thinks it turned up at a jumble sale.

I can remember playing with this medal when I was a kid 40 years ago.

Can anybody assist?

Best regards

Adrian Martin, Staffordshire

Hi Adrian

Peter Michinson is listed in the WW1 Medals Index. I will leave it to any expert who will supply information to you.

Christina

Hi Adrian,

Here is his MIC. Looks like he also served in the Royal Army Medical Corps

post-25417-1249075110.jpg

Michael

Looks like he was born about 1891 and comes from Sunderland. He married a Norah Clark in Oct 1916. Originally joined 3rd Lincolnshire Regiment before transferring to Labour Corps and was sent to France in May 1917.

Michael

Hi Everybody.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how a chap's medal from Sunderland ended up in Staffordshire but I think I will chase up those service records.

Its a shame his medals have been split up, the MIC shows both Victory and British War Medal. Thats not me being greedy, I just like to see the right medals being kept together in the original family.

We are really lucky, my Great Grandfathers medals are with my Uncle and I know he is really proud of them.

Still, I enjoy doing the research into these incredibly brave people.

I may post some follow up information when I get a chance to look.

Thanks everybody for such quick responses, it amazes me how helpfull the forum members can be.

Best regards to all.

Adrian