Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Barham

Guest highpeak2609

Guest highpeak2609

Harry Mears survived the many bombings of HMS Barham.

It finally sunk and he was one of only a few survivors compared to the ship's compliment.

What would he do when the ship sunk? I'm not sure if he was injured, and don't know how to trace if he was admitted to a hospital anyway.

If he wasn't, would he have been transferred to another warship to continue his service? If so, how do I find out which one please?

Thanks

Sorry to be pedantic but perhaps this should have been posted elsewhere as it isn't a Great War topic.

Cheers

Rich.

HMS Barham served in both the Great War and the Second World War.She was the 4th Royal Naval vessel to to be named Barham from the first in 1811.

Barham was bullt by John Browns on the Clyde and completed in 1915.She saw battle action at the Battle of Jutland in 1916 with a small loss of life. She was subject to rebuilding /modernisation during the inter war years but unlike the others in her class,her decks were not improved/modified during the rebuild.

Barham, a Queen Elizabeth Class Battleship served in the Alantic in 1939, during the action against the French at Dakar in 1940 and was on station in the Mediterranean afterwards throughout until it was sunk in November 1941.The battleship took part in the mauling of the Italian battle fleet at Cape Matapan in 1941 and also in the battle for Crete in 1941.

HMS Barham was sunk on 25 November 1941 when she was torpedeoed by U 331 off Sollum when the submarine penitrated its destroyer screen.

I am reminded of Barham's tragic loss when I look at a local memorial which lists a father lost in France during the Great War and his son lost on HMS Barham.

Regards

Frank East