Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Memorium for Pte A G Harrison by

Joy Dean

The attached was drawn / painted by my Grandad - William Joseph Brooks (1888 - 1971) in memory of his brother-in-law, my great-uncle Dick (1887 - 1918) - Private Arthur George Harrison, No. 62732, "B" Company, 5th Machine Gun Battalion, killed in action 20 May 1918, in Ploegsteer, Belgium, at 30 years of age.

Grandad was a draughtsman before WW1. He drew several copies of this for brothers and sisters, and the copies which are greatly treasured have been passed down to the next generation/s. I wonder what Grandad would think, to see it here!

My thanks to Mick Connor for helping re-size the scan.

Joy

My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I realise that it is nothing to do with a physical cemetery or concrete memorial, but I do regard it as a rather beautiful memorial by my Grandad for his brother-in-law.

post-19-1082228172.jpg

Edited by Christopher and Joy Dean

Joy:

Your grandad seems to be a very honorable man who had the foresight

that WE may never FORGET those that GAVE the ultimate sacrafice!

I believe he would be PROUD of you for sharing with us!

gordon

Joy:

Your grandad seems to be a very honorable man who had the foresight that WE may never FORGET those that GAVE the ultimate sacrafice! I believe he would be PROUD of you for sharing with us!

gordon

:) Thank you for saying that. It is my honour, privilege and pleasure to share this.

I do not have a photograph of Great-Uncle Dick in uniform, but attached is the one photograph that I do have of him.

"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them."

Joy

post-19-1082481807.jpg

• 17 years later...
On 17/04/2004 at 13:56, Joy Dean said:

The attached was drawn / painted by my Grandad - William Joseph Brooks (1888 - 1971) in memory of his brother-in-law, my great-uncle Dick (1887 - 1918) - Private Arthur George Harrison, No. 62732, "B" Company, 5th Machine Gun Battalion, killed in action 20 May 1918, in Ploegsteer, Belgium, at 30 years of age.

Grandad was a draughtsman before WW1. He drew several copies of this for brothers and sisters, and the copies which are greatly treasured have been passed down to the next generation/s. I wonder what Grandad would think, to see it here!

My thanks to Mick Connor for helping re-size the scan.

Joy

My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I realise that it is nothing to do with a physical cemetery or concrete memorial, but I do regard it as a rather beautiful memorial by my Grandad for his brother-in-law.

post-19-1082228172.jpg

God bless their souls

Edited by mg torres