Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Uniform and Regiment

kidneybean

Any Help with this photo would be greatly appreciated. Identification of uniform and Regiment needed, any help with chevrons on sleeve and badge on pocket of tunic near left hand.

post-46822-1248973317.jpg

Hello 'freeform'..

What badge on what uniform pocket?.. there isn't one. The sleave chevrons however are over seas service chevrons, and they look to be post 1914 = blue only. The uniform is that of a mounted unit.. RE's Driver, RFA, AOC Driver? I'm no uniform expert, but the mouted link is very deffinate.

Seph

post-46822-1248976598.jpgThanks Seph, there is a woven badge below pocket flap and left hand just visible on original but not clear, may be artillery field gun!Another photo same soldier but probably a few years earlier any help appreciated

The second photo: it is not a Royal Artillery cap badge - wrong shape, but the bandolier and riding crop mean he was in another mounted corps.

On the earlier photo, I cannot think of any badge that would be worn on the lower pocket of a tunic. A gun badge above three chevrons on the upper arms would be worn by a sergeant in RHA, RFA or RGA, but probably nobody else, and not low down on the tunic.

Are the medal ribbons identified? [not my field].

D

I looked at the first photo after enlarging it and there is no badge that I can see by the l/ hand jacket pocket and hand.

Judging by the difference in age and stature of the chap between the two photo's, and the fact that he has been promoted in rank, I would guess that the first is post war, and the second is during. Having said that, the service chevrons now make sence, as do the medal ribbons = 1914/15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal?

Seph

I think you are right on the medals although enlarging the picture doesn't make them any clearer.

post-46822-1249052538.jpgThanks for help given from all concerned on forum. I have a few extra points to add, first photo was taken at The De Freyne Studios in Liverpool,and second at Nola Studio,in Lewisham London S.E.

Also I have one more picture of same soldier from a locket (Head only with cap showing badge) is this any help for identification?

Hi Freeform

Although you can't see the face of the badge, I'd suggest it's that of the Army Service Corps (ASC) who were the Army's transport Corps, that would tie in with the Drivers riding uniform of breeches and bandolier he's wearing and the whip he's holding in your 1st photo. The ASC had Royal added to their title in 1918 making them the RASC later becoming Royal Corps of Transport (RCT) and now incorporated into the Royal Logistic Corps (RLC), below is a link to a WWI ASC capbadge, hope it helps.

Sam

http://www.militaria.name/uplimg/img_12530...3229feea9b3.jpg

Hi roughdiamond thanks for your badge looks similar in shape.Unfortunately all pictures have indistinct cap badge even when enlarged. I notice the tunic has a high collar has against the full photos which have rounded collars, does this have any significance?

Best regards

Hi roughdiamond thanks for your badge looks similar in shape.Unfortunately all pictures have indistinct cap badge even when enlarged. I notice the tunic has a high collar has against the full photos which have rounded collars, does this have any significance?

Best regards

Sorry, I'm not sure although I'm pretty certain about the cap badge, the one in your 3rd "Locket" photo appears to be pierced rather than solid like the one I posted earlier, having researched and collected RE cap badges from their inception at the end of Queen Victorias reign, I found that around 1916 the solid "Economy" badge was brought in as it was cheaper and easier to produce for the vastly increasing Army than the pierced one, a link to a photo of which i've included below, this may suggest the 3rd photo was taken pre-1916, that ties in with the fact he's wearing a 1914-15 Star, hope that helps.

Have you any details on him, was he related, did he survive (going by the fact he's wearing his medals he did) , do you have a date of birth?

Regards

Sam

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-British-Cap-badg...id=p3286.c0.m14

• 4 months later...

Hi Forum pals who tried to identify my first attempts at tracing this lad. He was my father's cousin born in Crowland ,Lincolnshire ,enlisted probably underage with group of friends. Many of them seemed to be horse trained and were taken as Drivers in Signals,ASC and Field artillery, I was hoping for a breakthrough with the latest records on Ancestry bur no success. His name was

HERBERT WILSON, BORN FEB. 1898, enlisted prob spring1915? first photo ribbons suggest 1914/15 star,2nd photo taken in Lewisham? suggesting Woolwich as his training base as a recruit(ASC ) ,many MIC's for this name but can't pi anything down. Can anyone help further please?