Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search for Thomas Cook 1914-1917

Kramsharp

Thanks in advance for looking at this post.

I live in Jersey and can not visit the national archives in person.

I am trying to locate/research more info on my Grandfather who served and died in WW1

Name: Thomas Cook

Regiment Number : 710032

211th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Born: Bolton, Lancashire

Died: 04/09/1917

I have found his military War Medal Card, and can confirm he was KIA in Flanders Field France and buried in Ypres Resevoir Cemetry.

But i can not find out any more info than that.

I would like to know some of his movements, And a memorial would be great as i do not know his Mother or Fathers name or his date of birth.

War Diary info, Medical Records, Enlisting documents, Memorials would be a great source of info

Thank again for any info you can help me with

I have tried the TNA records but cant find anything there

The 1901 census shows a Thomas Cook age 21 (born c1880) in Nelson Street Bolton, living with his grandfather Joseph Hall , could this be him? Do you know his wife's name and date of birth or have an idea when they were married? Their marriage certificate would give you his fathers name

The 1901 census shows a Thomas Cook age 21 (born c1880) in Nelson Street Bolton, living with his grandfather Joseph Hall , could this be him? Do you know his wife's name and date of birth or have an idea when they were married? Their marriage certificate would give you his fathers name

Unfortuantly i do not have a great deal of data to go on. ( the address could be right as this was in the correct are of Bolton as far as i can tell) I have nothing regarding teh Hall family

His wife was Catherine ( Maiden Name Unknown)

He had a son of the same name (Thomas Cook) Born 1912

His 710032 number is a Territorial Force number. They were renumbered to a six digit number early 1917. As you can see on his medal card he had a previous number of 453.He also entered Egypt on 25/9/14

Here are the Brigades that got 710*** etc

710001-715000 212 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/3 E LANCS (RENUMBERED AS 211 BDE ON DEC 16)

710001-715000 332 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/3 LANCASHIRE (BROKEN UP, APR 17)

(courtesy of info previously posted by Dick Flory)

The men were numbered in order of years of service i.e. longest serving first. Thomas was therefore the 32nd senior man in length of service terms. I would say that he would have been in the TF since at least 1908/09.

From above info it would appear that Thomas was in 212 Brigade before Dec 1916.

If you look here

http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm

you can scroll down to 211 and 212 brigades (CCXi and CCXii) you will see that they were part of the 42nd Division. Click on that and you will see the movements of that Division from when it landed in Egypt on 25th September 1914.

Hywyn Williams

I also see on his medal card that he is described as WHLR CPl, undoubtedly Wheeler Corporal. His Soldiers Died in The Great War entry describes him as FTR/Sgt.

See here

http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm

for how batteries and brigades were made up

Hywyn

Yes i noticed that. I had figured out that he was a wheeler corporal, But thought after the Egypt Campaign maybe he had been war promoted to Sargeant ( still dont know what FTR stands for ( is this the Farrier Sargeant mentioned in the link you provided?)

I think the only way you are going to find out about his family history is to buy a copy of his son's birth certificate. This will then give you his fathers name and his age when married which will make it easier to find his parents

His 710032 number is a Territorial Force number. They were renumbered to a six digit number early 1917. As you can see on his medal card he had a previous number of 453.He also entered Egypt on 25/9/14

Here are the Brigades that got 710*** etc

710001-715000 212 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/3 E LANCS (RENUMBERED AS 211 BDE ON DEC 16)

710001-715000 332 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/3 LANCASHIRE (BROKEN UP, APR 17)

(courtesy of info previously posted by Dick Flory)

The men were numbered in order of years of service i.e. longest serving first. Thomas was therefore the 32nd senior man in length of service terms. I would say that he would have been in the TF since at least 1908/09.

From above info it would appear that Thomas was in 212 Brigade before Dec 1916.

If you look here

http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm

you can scroll down to 211 and 212 brigades (CCXi and CCXii) you will see that they were part of the 42nd Division. Click on that and you will see the movements of that Division from when it landed in Egypt on 25th September 1914.

Hywyn Williams

Thanks Hywyn that backs up what little info i had, You are a STAR many thanks

I think the only way you are going to find out about his family history is to buy a copy of his son's birth certificate. This will then give you his fathers name and his age when married which will make it easier to find his parents

Many thanks judith, I guessed as much, But cant even find his son on the Ancestory Birth Search, I have tried several searches but nothing For Thomas Cook Bolton (1912)

Many thanks judith, I guessed as much, But cant even find his son on the Ancestory Birth Search, I have tried several searches but nothing For Thomas Cook Bolton (1912)

There was a Thomas Cook born in Bolton during the 2nd Quarter of 1912 under reference Bolton 8c 860. Mothers maiden name Bohan

Following on from RED47's post - it looks as though the marriage was in the Prescot district of Lancashire (that included Farnworth; Hale; Huyton; Kirkby; Much Woolton; Prescot; Prescot & Huyton; Rainford; St. Helens; Whiston; Widnes - per FreeBMD) - 2nd qtr of 1911 vol 8b page 1168

Kate Bohan 1911 Prescot Lancashire

Thomas B Cook 1911 Prescot Lancashire

As well as Thomas born in 1912 - there looks to have been a second son - George - 2nd qtr of 1914 - also reg Bolton - 8c 908

Good Luck

Sue

Following on from RED47's post - it looks as though the marriage was in the Prescot district of Lancashire (that included Farnworth; Hale; Huyton; Kirkby; Much Woolton; Prescot; Prescot & Huyton; Rainford; St. Helens; Whiston; Widnes - per FreeBMD) - 2nd qtr of 1911 vol 8b page 1168

Kate Bohan 1911 Prescot Lancashire

Thomas B Cook 1911 Prescot Lancashire

As well as Thomas born in 1912 - there looks to have been a second son - George - 2nd qtr of 1914 - also reg Bolton - 8c 908

Good Luck

Sue

Thanks Sue that is Brilliant news.....

Ur an absolute Star

still dont know what FTR stands for ( is this the Farrier Sargeant mentioned in the link you provided?)

Fitter Serjeant - There is a thread on this subject here....

http://www.1914-1918.invisionzone.com/foru...php/t20429.html

Also, he appears on Bolton Artillery War Memorial, but still no age given.

Thomas Cook - Fitt/Serjeant 711174 'A' Battery 211th Brigade Died 4th September 1917 Killed in Action. Born and enlisted in Bolton. Buried at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery

fs-parkinson-r-05.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have researched the Bolton Artillery in Bolton Library Local Studies. The Bolton newspapers from 1914 to 1916 report on 1/3 East Lancs Brigade RFA on Active Service in Egypt and Gallipoli and on the formation and training of the Reserve Brigades 2/3 ELB and 3/3 ELB. From 1917 to 1919 the papers only print photographs and biographies of those killed, wounded or decorated and some research is necessary to establish if those mentioned were Bolton Artillery. I have compiled a number of indexes and have shared my results with the Library for Bolton Archives. Sgt T Cook is pictured in the Bolton Journal and Guardian of 30/03/1917 in a feature called Heroes from the Schools. It gave his age as 28 and his address as 6 Chalfont St. The death of Sgt Fitter Tom Cook was reported in the Bolton Evening News of 03/10/1917. The same picture appeared. The biography stated that he was killed in action on September 4th. He was the son of Mr and Mrs E Cook of 18 Chalfont St, Bolton. It gave his age as 29 and his wife and two young children lived at 18 Latham St.

• 7 months later...

Kramsharp who started this thread has not visited the site since 2009 but I will add this anyway.

The Bolton Evening News 05/10/1917 Family Notices under Killed in Action shows three entries:

On Sept 4 1917 Sgt Fitter Cook RFA, age 29, husband of Kitty Cook 18 Latham St.

Another from Father, Mother, Sisters and Elsie 44 Latham St.

And Brother of Emmie Woods 44 Latham St.

The Bolton Journal edition 08/09/1922 In Memoriam column shows the following:

COOK - In loving memory of Sgt Fitter Cook RFA killed at Ypres Sept 4th 1917. Father, Mother and Sisters 44 Latham St.

Out of interest the photograph in post 14 is the unveiling of the Bolton Artillery Cenotaph in Nelson Square by Prince Albert, the Duke of York. This was reported in the Bolton Journal edition 30/07/1920.