Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Cornwall

cathy1969

Hi, My Great Grandfather George Joseph Willsher enlisted on the 13.08.1914 his corps was the RGA Cornwall, his rank was gunner.

I have 2 medal card index's and his discharge index. He has 2 regimental numbers is that normal? He also has (TF) on the records so im asuming that means Teratorial Force, was that different to RGA? He went to France on the 21.10.1915. Is there any way I can find out more info about that?

I knew nothing about him or my grandfather (who served in WW11) and dont really know what im looking for in Military records so any help would be gratefully received.

I can email copies of the medal & discharge index's as they are too big to upload here.

Cathy

Hello Cathy,

The Territorial Force should be seen upon as the Reserve Army. Like in the (Regular) Army units of all Corps served in it. Likewise, the RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) had units in the Territorial Force. These were part-timers, or Weekend soldiers as they were called, who trained once a week supplemented by an annual camp. Initially intended for Home Defense only, the TF was invited to join the BEF in France/Flanders (they had to be invited as part of their regulations as they could not be force to serve outside the UK unless being asked). The rest is history I assume.

The RGA Cornwall, or Cornwall RGA as it was known was one of the TF units of the RGA and tasked with Coast Defense. Embodied in August 1914, the first two batteries of the Cornwall RGA formed into a Heavy Battery in August 1915 which I guess went to France (someone with references at hand might tell more here ...), and probably this was the unit your ggfather was in. This was the 134 (Cornwall) Heavy Battery, RGA which was redesignated as 546 Siege Battery in February 1918 and disbanded after the war.

Hope this is of some help.

regards,

Wienand

Hi, My Great Grandfather George Joseph Willsher enlisted on the 13.08.1914 his corps was the RGA Cornwall, his rank was gunner.

I have 2 medal card index's and his discharge index. He has 2 regimental numbers is that normal? He also has (TF) on the records so im asuming that means Teratorial Force, was that different to RGA? He went to France on the 21.10.1915. Is there any way I can find out more info about that?

I knew nothing about him or my grandfather (who served in WW11) and dont really know what im looking for in Military records so any help would be gratefully received.

I can email copies of the medal & discharge index's as they are too big to upload here.

Cathy

The date of entry to theatre is incorrect for the 134th Heavy Battery. They arrived East Africa 1/2/1916, departing Uk 26th December, however, I will check further as a party may have been sent to France prior to this date.

The two MIC#s I have seen only show his 6 digit number, also there is no date of entry on these cards which would suggest arrival in theatre after 1/1/1916, can you say where you got the date of entry of 21/10/15 from please?

Roop

The date of entry to theatre is incorrect for the 134th Heavy Battery. They arrived East Africa 1/2/1916, departing Uk 26th December, however, I will check further as a party may have been sent to France prior to this date.

The two MIC#s I have seen only show his 6 digit number, also there is no date of entry on these cards which would suggest arrival in theatre after 1/1/1916, can you say where you got the date of entry of 21/10/15 from please?

Roop

Hi, the 2 MIC I have are for the Star his reg no is 731, just before star there is a number 15 & after the star it says RGA/2 B. In the Theatre of War first served it says (1) & date of entry therin is 21/10/15. The other MIC is for the Victory & British his reg no is 321587.

Which MIC's have you found?

Thanks Cathy

Hello Cathy,

The Territorial Force should be seen upon as the Reserve Army. Like in the (Regular) Army units of all Corps served in it. Likewise, the RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) had units in the Territorial Force. These were part-timers, or Weekend soldiers as they were called, who trained once a week supplemented by an annual camp. Initially intended for Home Defense only, the TF was invited to join the BEF in France/Flanders (they had to be invited as part of their regulations as they could not be force to serve outside the UK unless being asked). The rest is history I assume.

The RGA Cornwall, or Cornwall RGA as it was known was one of the TF units of the RGA and tasked with Coast Defense. Embodied in August 1914, the first two batteries of the Cornwall RGA formed into a Heavy Battery in August 1915 which I guess went to France (someone with references at hand might tell more here ...), and probably this was the unit your ggfather was in. This was the 134 (Cornwall) Heavy Battery, RGA which was redesignated as 546 Siege Battery in February 1918 and disbanded after the war.

Hope this is of some help.

regards,

Wienand

Many Thanks for your help, this is all new to me & your help has been a real help

There are 3 MICs for him, one as Geo. Joseph Willsher is for the Silver War Badge, which tells you he was embodied 13-8-1914 and discharged 8-6-1917., for "No longer fit for war service," sickness.

You may be lucky and find a battery he was attached to listed on the 14/15 Star Medal roll which you have already quoted (RGA 2B, page 77) which equates to the NA reference, I think, as WO 329/2984. His other medal roll should be in WO 329/318. These can only be viewed at the National Archives.

I suspect he was sent out as a replacement.

Kevin

EDIT

I wonder whether he was sent to 46th Siege Battery at Lydd. I haven't got their landings date, for some reason. Perhaps a good friend will enlighten us. If he stayed at Woolwich when the 134th Heavy Battery was being trained then he may have been sent anywhere.

There are 3 MICs for him, one as Geo. Joseph Willsher is for the Silver War Badge, which tells you he was embodied 13-8-1914 and discharged 8-6-1917., for "No longer fit for war service," sickness.

You may be lucky and find a battery he was attached to listed on the 14/15 Star Medal roll which you have already quoted (RGA 2B, page 77) which equates to the NA reference, I think, as WO 329/2984. His other medal roll should be in WO 329/318. These can only be viewed at the National Archives.

I suspect he was sent out as a replacement.

Kevin

EDIT

I wonder whether he was sent to 46th Siege Battery at Lydd. I haven't got their landings date, for some reason. Perhaps a good friend will enlighten us. If he stayed at Woolwich when the 134th Heavy Battery was being trained then he may have been sent anywhere.

Hi, I didnt realise the 3rd was a MIC I thought it was his dicarge papers. If it helps I can also give you the following information.

He was born March 1894 in Paddington London, I have got him on the 1901 census & 1911 census, in the 1911 census he was staying with his grandparents in Marazion, Cornwall. He married in 1914 & died in 1931 at the age of 37 due to gassing in the war.

Cathy

Cathy,

Good luck with the research. My Dad joined the RGA on 06/08/14 in Cornwall and eventually went to E. Africa [as Roop states] from Southampton, Dec. 1915.

Your G/Grandfather may have experienced over a year training, living first in tents until Dec.'14, and then hutted accommodation at Staddon Heights, Plymouth. Dad was a skilled horseman, became a signaller, then taught other signallers to ride properly. He records in a journal that "there were chaps from all walks of life in the Regiment, and it was surprising how we all mixed. I must say I learned quite a lot really in ways and habits [plus language] during this period."

I wonder if they ever met?

Phil.

Cathy, Ok thats good regarding date etc.

Phil, havnt forgotton my promise re war diary, just time has been so tight of late.

Roop

Cathy,

Good luck with the research. My Dad joined the RGA on 06/08/14 in Cornwall and eventually went to E. Africa [as Roop states] from Southampton, Dec. 1915.

Your G/Grandfather may have experienced over a year training, living first in tents until Dec.'14, and then hutted accommodation at Staddon Heights, Plymouth. Dad was a skilled horseman, became a signaller, then taught other signallers to ride properly. He records in a journal that "there were chaps from all walks of life in the Regiment, and it was surprising how we all mixed. I must say I learned quite a lot really in ways and habits [plus language] during this period."

I wonder if they ever met?

Phil.

Hi Phil, How strange is that to think they might have met. I knew nothing about the Willsher side of the family as I have only really just got into tracing my family tree, its been difficult as my mum is no longer with us & her father (my grandfather) passed away when she was only 18. I have got most of my info from a friend in Marazion who's relatives are related to the Willshers. It been interesting so far but im stuck now with the military bit.

Thanks for your help Cathy

Roop,

No worries about the War diary. I have had dad's journal since 1974 and only recently started researching. Cathy, my Dad also served on the western front, though much later in Spring 1918. He was in training at Lydd too, before departure. I need to research area one of these days. I do hope all your questions are being answered.

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
Roop,

No worries about the War diary. I have had dad's journal since 1974 and only recently started researching. Cathy, my Dad also served on the western front, though much later in Spring 1918. He was in training at Lydd too, before departure. I need to research area one of these days. I do hope all your questions are being answered.

Phil.

Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out if his service record is at Kew without going. I live quite a way from London & dont want a wasted journey if they are not there.

Cathy

Cathy,

You could try ordering them on line from the NA. Unfortunately Ancestry are only up to "N" at present and I have not seen when the next release is sheduled for.

I suggested the 46th Siege Battery for a good reason. 3 officers and 78 other ranks were sent to Lydd to join that battery on the 9th August 1915, before the 134th Heavy Battery was sent to Woolwich for training on the 28th August 1915. Just a chance he was one of those men sent to Lydd.

Kevin

• 9 years later...

My wife's 2nd cousin 321023 Bdr Herbert Ingrey - 1893-1977 served with the Cornwall RGA.  Enlisted 27 Feb 1913 and discharged Apr 1919.  He has a pension record card which has him as having malaria and also a SWB.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to what Bty/Coy he could have been with.  Possibly the Cornwall RGA Btys/Coys  that deployed to E Africa?  He hasn't got a 14/15 Star.  I wonder if those that deployed in Dec 15 to E Africa were eligible for the 15 star?  If they were I think this would rule Herbert out?

Any thoughts gratefully received

Possibly,from his number, the Cornwall Heavy Battery RGA that served in East Africa. Their date of entry in theater would be after the cut off for a 15 star.

Roop

Edited by KONDOA

321035 Buckingham. his records show 134th Cornwall H(Heavy) Battery left Southampton for German East Africa on 23/12/15. So would not have arrived until after 31/12/15 so hence if Ingrey was with them it would explain no Star. 321035 discharged for chronic malaria. 

321035 was 1058. 321030 Trudgian was 1053 both were in TF 1 Cornwall Heavy Battery. 321035 enlisted Feb 1913. This implies Ingrey original number may be 1046. Trudgian did not go to Africa.

Edit 321011 was 1020 did not go to E Africa. Same TF unit. 321022 was 1040. So Ingrey somewhere between 1053 and 1040.

321022 went to E Africa 

Edited by Mark1959

The reason I put the word "possibly" in my post is that I have several instances where soldiers, sometimes with specific skills, were transferred to units later sent to Salonica. Hence, although every probability he did serve in East Africa, malaria could also be suffered in Salonica.

Roop