Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches

rendellers

Can anyone help me out with a map or grid references for these trenches Next week I hope to visit Thiepval in memory of RFu John Leonard Tebb c/7403 presumed dead 15/9/1916 of the 18th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

The war diary for the relevant dates states

13.09.1916 FRICOURT Camp (F14a). The Bn. moved off from Fricourt Camp at 2am halting at Pommieres Redoubt. Arrived at Green Dump Area about 4pm [am?] relieving 10th Queens. Our trench strength was 624 + positions occupied were Headquarters at ‘C’ Company:- York Trench. A, B & D Companies: Orchard, Carlton & Savoy Trenches respectively. Casualties: Nil.

14.09.1916 TRENCHES. At 9pm the Bn. moved via Milk Lane Communication Trench, taking over Tea Trench from 11th Royal West Kents. Relief being completed by about 1.30am 15.9.1916. Casualties: 10 caused by barrage of Whiz-Bangs.

15.09.1916 TRENCHES. The Bn. advanced towards FLERS at 6.15am in waves of 150 men each. The first wave occupied the Hun first line, the second wave was followed taking their second line, the third and fourth adv. enemy ______ [gap in text. ?censored] on the west half of Flers. Casualties: Officers – 7 killed, 14 wounded. I.R. – 57 killed, 227 wounded, 3 died of wounds, 59 missing (Total 346)

16.09.1916 TRENCHES. Capt. W. Moore Alpine who had been acting as O.C. details in transport lines went up and took command of the Bn.. Reorganising in Savoy Trench. Strength roughly 274. Casualties: Nil.

Many thanks

Lindsey

Firstly here are Carlton and Savoy - from the Linesman package, a trench map dated 29.9.1916

post-2705-1248714699.jpg

And from the same map, Tea Trench. The two maps overlap each other so it should be easy enough to match them up, and overlay them on a modern day map. I couldn't find Milk Lane

Hope that helps

Alan

post-2705-1248715230.jpg