Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Harold Wagstaff 2/5th Leics 27/9/17

KevinBattle

Private Harold Wagstaff 242148 was killed 27 September near Dochy Farm. The information I have is that: The Leicesters went well until the first objective and then ran into their own barrage. They dug in around Dochy Farm with B Coy 2/5th Lincolns taking the farm itself and consolidating. At 7.50 am the Leicesters resumed the advance and took the final objective and Otto Farm.

What more can Pals here find out for me other than what is on the CWGC site to help bring this relative to life again?

Thanks in advance

Edit: to correct date to 27 September

Hi Kevin your man was K.I.A. 27/09/1917,his full name was William Arthur Wagstaff he was born in Southend and in the 1901 Census Father Thomas,Mother Julia,sisters Eva age 6,Constance age 4 and Peynall (Brother?) age 2 in the Civil Parish of Prittlwell and looks as if it is 2 Hatfield or Halfield Terrace.

post-10020-1248675572.jpg

All the best Gary.

Gary, thanks for all that and the correction. Date of death is given as 27th, I must have misread and put 26 which was his age!!.I have him as a Harold, as is shown on the card. Where did the William come from, please?

There was a HATFIELD Terrace in Prittlewell at the turn of the century, but didn't know of it before now! I'll have to look out for old street maps of Southend!!

I'll have to go back to my uncle and see if he knows anything about a Peynall or the other members of his family.

What do the other references on the card mean? 5846? F/102? B253140?

Now to find out what happened on the 27th that caused his death, when he enlisted and when he went to France & Flanders!!

It's starting to put some fleash on his bones, thank you!!