Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I may just have seen a glimpse of my Great Grandad

herbie4798

I was just looking at the different clips on the British Pathe website and found a clip of the 10th Londons. Half footage from Annual camp 1914 with Officers and the second half was a great clip of the 10th Londons marching Through Hackney. Presumably Mare street HQ. Allthough a silent film the band are playing in front followed by the Battalion. The camera is on the street to the left of the parade giving good close ups of the men on the left. Whilst studying the faces of the men, 1 face instantly stood out. It was almost like seeing myself! I showed my mum and Dad the clip and didnt mention which face I had picked. Instantly they picked the same face! There is a photo of me marching in a homecoming parade from Iraq that is almost identical to the paused image of the man I believe could very well be my Great Grandad. I just thought id share this with you all. I have no photos of my Great Grandad at all and cannot be certain this is him, Maybe a coincidence or maybe it was meant to be.

James

I demand a photo comparison! :D

You lucky thing!

Now....post a still from the film, as well as one of you. Lots of us will be delighted to comment.

I am just so envious!

Bruce

I Know how you feel James,

While researching my great Uncles came across a picture of my great cousin, Edward (Ned) Daly who was CO of one of the Irish Battalions during the Easter uprising and was shoot in 1916 by the British. Could of been looking in a mirror, spooky.

Ray

P.S.When I mentioned it to my Mum she replied " Nah! The Daly`s were good looking men"

I was planning on posting a still and a photo of my ugly mug and let everyone decide, However The pathe website wont let you save the video. Im going to try and contact them tommorow to see if its possible to get a copy. Would love to know what everyone thought. I couldnt believe it when I first saw it. I kept rewinding it to keep looking. Like you said Ray it was like looking in the Mirror :o Made the hairs on my neck stand up.

James

What a wonderful thing to have found. I hope it is Great Grandad, heres hoping.

I found a pic of what I thought was my Grandad in a local library. Having a pic from the same time with me, I got the library staff to pick the one in the group of twenty men, which looked the most like him while on a horse. They all picked the same man, as did Mum and Dad.

A great feeling discovering things like this

Get the stills on.

DickW

Years ago I was watching the BBC Great War series at my mother's house. The camera was showing men from the first push of the Somme battle who had been relieved coming back down a communications trench in small clumps. They looked shattered as well they might. My mother stiffened, into camera walked her father (who I never met as he died in 1938 from long term complications of gas and trench fever). So I've seen my Grandfather on film after the Somme. Now I have the CDs of the BBC series I need to find a quiet spell in which to sit down and find that clip again (I have a photo of him taken a month later to use as a check).

I was planning on posting a still and a photo of my ugly mug and let everyone decide, However The pathe website wont let you save the video.

What you can do is open the film at full screen, then take a screen grab and paste it to your graphics editing programme or Word. I just tried it.

Gwyn

I was planning on posting a still and a photo of my ugly mug and let everyone decide, However The pathe website wont let you save the video. Im going to try and contact them tommorow to see if its possible to get a copy.

Hi James,

I haven't looked at the Pathe website for a long time (years infact), but you were able to order whole 'videos' or alternatively single frames from a news reel (I did the latter on some Normandy 1944 news reels). I would assume you can still do this - I can't remember how expensive this was though.

Best of luck

Steve

I Know how you feel James,

While researching my great Uncles came across a picture of my great cousin, Edward (Ned) Daly who was CO of one of the Irish Battalions during the Easter uprising and was shoot in 1916 by the British. Could of been looking in a mirror, spooky.

Ray

P.S.When I mentioned it to my Mum she replied " Nah! The Daly`s were good looking men"

Ray,

Typical Irish humor, short and to the point. I remember my brother coming back from a trip to Ireland and raving about meeting a lady who was a distant relative. He said that he and she were so similar that he felt like he was looking at a female version of himself.

My mothers' response, "That poor woman!"

Bob

G'day James,

I envy you. I have been searching fo a photo of my Grandfather (Pte 3892 John McManus 2nd Battalion AIF) for years - whether it be a studio portrait or a battalion photo, anything - without success. I can truly imagine your elation.

Good luck to you I will keep trying.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Yes James. I am with pop on this, i too have been searching for years for a photo of my 6th dorset granddad with no luck. Not even a battalion photo so i am very happy for you.Tom

I always think that it would be brilliant to know the names of the men in the old footage. Maybe some kind of list could be created where people know some of the men? Just a suggestion.

Strange, I saw a photograph in a family history magazine of soldiers in a pow camp. I was convinced it was my grandfather, even the west yorks cap badge fitted the profile. I got in touch with the mag. and they said it was taken in Cottbus, grandad was in Langensalza. I keep going back to look at the photo and the likeness to my grandad is uncanny. Is it wishfull thinking!

• 1 year later...
Guest paula-jean

My grandfather was in Cottbus prison (concentration camp) in WWI. I have several postcards that he sent to his family during this time. I'm looking for information about Cottbus. I believe my grandfather was fighting for the Russians when captured. He spoke 11 languages (was a traveling salesman before the war) and was used as a translater. I'm also told he peeled many a potato. He was born in an area of modern day Poland near the Russian boarder.