Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL HIGHLANDERS

steven856

Steven,

Do you mean the Black Watch?

If so please state Battalion and if not Black Watch,which Regiment and Battalion.

George

Steven,

Do you mean the Black Watch?

If so please state Battalion and if not Black Watch,which Regiment and Battalion.

George

Hi George,

Yes it is the Black Watch, and it's the 1/7th Battalion the soldier Iam researching was listed as Killed, but was later found 2 days later badly wounded his date of death was originally recorded as the 25th September 1915, I believe the 25th was the 1st day of the Battle of Loos,but I would like to try and get the unit diary from that day if possible.

Regards Steven.

Steven,

I cannot help you directly,however,I've just read the LLT synopsis about the 7th Black Watch.

They appear to form part of the 51st(Highland)Division which was on the Somme in September 1915.

George

Steven,

I cannot help you directly,however,I've just read the LLT synopsis about the 7th Black Watch.

They appear to form part of the 51st(Highland)Division which was on the Somme in September 1915.

George

George

many thanks i will keep on looking at the 51st history

regards steven

Steven,

This is what the 8th Royal Scots War Diary records for late September 1915(they were the Pioneer Battalion to the Highland Division).

24th September 1915-While working near Authuille this night "B" Company sustained ten casualties,mostly very slight,owing to the bursting of four shrapnel shells in among them.

The War Diary,for that Month, lays more emphasis in the opening of a dry canteen,and a bath house.Apparently,from the Diary,my Uncle was employed cleaning out village ponds,that conjures up many surreal images. :D

George

Hi

The 7th Battalion spent from July to the end of the year in trenches at La Boiselle, especially in the "Ilot" which I take to be the French name for the Glory Hole. The history describes it as being a confused heap of chalk pits and shell holes churned up by trench mortars and aerial torpedoes where the trenches were barely 10 yards apart and the battalion was often engaged in bombing exchanges. They were recorded as once relieving Indian troops in front of Thiepval. 2 raids were carried out while they were in the La Boiselle sector but not on the date you mention. Artillery, trench mortar fire and grenade fights seemed to be the norm and much time was spent in repairing damaged trenches.

Regards

Martin

Hi

The 7th Battalion spent from July to the end of the year in trenches at La Boiselle, especially in the "Ilot" which I take to be the French name for the Glory Hole. The history describes it as being a confused heap of chalk pits and shell holes churned up by trench mortars and aerial torpedoes where the trenches were barely 10 yards apart and the battalion was often engaged in bombing exchanges. They were recorded as once relieving Indian troops in front of Thiepval. 2 raids were carried out while they were in the La Boiselle sector but not on the date you mention. Artillery, trench mortar fire and grenade fights seemed to be the norm and much time was spent in repairing damaged trenches.

Regards

Martin

Hi Guys thanks for the information, according to the document i have Pte Pryde S-7740 was wounded in action,and sent to the 4th Stationary Hospital at St Omer on the 27th Sept. 1915 with gunshot wounds to the right leg.Two days later on the 29th he was sent to 4 General Hospital at versailles.Previous to all of this he was listed as killed in action on the 25th his famiily were informed of his death,only to be told 5 weeks later he was okay. They must have went thorugh all sorts of emotions.

Cheers Steven.

• 10 months later...

Hi Steven,

I am wondering if all of the details are right as your man was not killed at Loos. It looks like Pte John Pryde somehow went from a Short Service/Duration of the War Engagement to a Territorial Force Engagement as his regimental number changes from S/7740 to 267435. This is unusual as it is normally the other way about. I cannot find a soldier with these details on the death rolls of The Black Watch.

267435 is a regimental number for a soldier listed with the 6th Bn The Black Watch. That said, it does not necessarily mean that he served with the 6th.

Aye

Tom McC

• 2 years later...

Hi Steven,

I can`t help you specifically , but may be able to help others interested in the 1st Battalion Black Watch.

I have a partial copy of the 1st Bn Black Watch Diary dating from 1 Sept 1916 to 19 April 1919. This details where they were throughout that time , mentions casualties - officers are named - also refers to medals awarded.

There is a list of men who served in the 1st Bn , so this may be of help to anyone wanting to know where their men were in France during that time.

Thommoje