Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester City Battalions

John_Hartley

As requested by Kate Wills ( the demon moderator) on the 22 Manchester Regiment postings under Soldiers, this is a review of the CD just received.

I have very little to add to Croonaert's comments in that it is easy to load and actually works. I didnt have great expectations though, liking the feel of real books where I can "touch history". The name index is a great bonus and the replication of photos is of high quality.

No, it isnt a book but then I've only paid a tenner for it and, in terms of research, it works better than the original. Well worth the money for those of you out there interested in the Manchester Pals Battalions. See the Family History Society site at www.mlfhs.demon.co.uk to order.

Their follow-up CD will include the employer rolls and will also contain a search facility. For those unfamiliar with the original, many employers (most based in central manchester) are listed with their employees who served. On many pages, the units are also shown (not just Manchester battalions). This second CD will be a real boon to anyone researching men from Manchester & District.

However, I have found a real personal benefit. The CD has an enlargement facility and I took a close look at the photo of my grandfather's platoon (Thomas Brough mentioned below). The guy I've thought was Tom for the last couple of years only looks like him! The real Tom is further along the same row.

Worth every penny of £10 just for that.

John

B)

I see it finally arrived then,John! :P

Dave.

Dear Happy Shoppers,

Greetings from the Manchester Metropolitan district of Northampton!!

This is probably a request that awaits the next index (which is worth a tenner in itself) but could you kindly keep an eye open for Walter Frederick HAHN of the 6th Manchesters (Union Bank employee, so many hours of bedtime reading revealed); and any pointers to William COLEMAN, who advertised himself as 'The Manchester Bass'.

Thanks from the Demon Moderator, who is about to demand commission from the exceptionally busy sales staff at MLFHS.

John / Kate

John - you mention a name index - is that a combined surnames index for all the City Battalions. The original book hasn't got that and it would be worth paying £10 for a CD-ROM just for that. The Rolls of Honour is also only index under the name of each of the Firms and Institutions, not under a combined surnames index which with approximately 400 pages of rolls is a handicap unless you know who the man worked for. I wonder if the CD-ROM when it’s published will be the same?

Kate - you man's name is on the Roll of Honour of 'The Union Bank of Manchester Ltd.' along with approx 110 others on page 640-642, as follows *HAHN, Lance-Corporal W. F. - 2/6th Batt. Manchester Regiment (T.F.)

* = kia, obviously he had already been killed in action by the time the book was published in 1916.

Alan Seymour

Alan.

It is a surname index that gives the batallion/company/platoon details of all those listed,making further research into the book (both real and electronic) far simpler.

I have to agree with you.It is worth the asking price just for this facility alone.

Dave.

Alan

the notes with the CD don't actually say that there will be a surname index in the new "employer" CD. But they are making sufficient play on the fact that the current one has the index that I suspect we can be hopeful.

Assuming it is, it's going to be one of the best tenners I could spend. As you know, if you've more than the odd name to find in the book's employer pages, it is very, very easy to lose the will to live (I've given up trying to find any of my 200 war memorial guys now - I'll wait for the CD).

John

John and others,

I guess one of the men you want to try and find is 2nd Lt. T R Worthington, who is one of your mystery men. I can tell you that his name is listed other than in local press cuttings - his details appear in the roll of honour for the 1/6th Manchesters which is included in the Divisional History "The 42nd (East Lancashire) Division" by Frederick P Gibbon. L/Cpl W F Hahn served in the same unit (and not the not 2/6th as the book suggests). Worthington appears to be listed twice, once as an officer and once as a sergeant, both times with the initials T R, unless there were two of them!

Hahn died on Friday 13th August 1915, 6 days after Worthington. Hahn is buried at Lancashire Landing Cemetery on Gallipoli. Presumably Worthington ought to be added to the Helles Memorial if the circumstances can be confirmed.

Martin

Many thanks for the reference to Tom Worthington. He is, indeed, my main mystery man, being the only one not listed on the CWGC database (that I would have expected to see there)

He appears to have been a private at time of enlistment, being promoted to Sgt by Xmas 1915. Probably commisoned in late July/early Augiust, he was killed on 7 August with 1/6th Manchesters.

The newspaper reports that information had been received from the Record Office at Preston that he had been "missing" since August 7. A couple of weeks later, the paper reprts that a fellow officer had written home stating "Most certainly Lt T Worthington fell in action. He was next to me when he was killed."

Which, as we say in these parts, makes him "well dead" in my book. I've written to CWGC asking if they know of him and if he is actually on the Helles Memorial. I'll keep the Forum posted about how this gets on.

(PS: for the Demon Moderator - Kate -I'm also on the track of the guy you suggested who may have the stack of letters about the1/6th. I'll keep my eye open for Hahn, of course).

John

B)

John,

Delighted to have been of help. I will check the Helles Memorial next time I am there (possibly September). There is an addenda section on the last panel.

Dave / John,

Further to my posting a fortnight ago reference the CD-ROM of the Manchester City Battalions - Book of Honour, and a surname index.

I have just received my copy of the CD-ROM in the post today and yes I'm very pleased. The 207 page surname index for the first part of the book which is not in the original book is worth the asking price alone. Looking forward to part two when it's released, fingers crossed that will also carry a surname index.

Another added bonus is the abilitiy to enlarge the already excellent photo's.

Alan

In the photo's of the 18th Battalion are pictures of Alfred Longshaw and Albert Ingham. Both men were tried for desertion on November 20th 1916 and executed on December 1st the same year.

They were both clerks before the war and came from Salford.

CWGC lists Longshaw as 'died' on this date, Ingham is not listed.

John