Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Identification

archangel9

Hi,

Anything you can tell me about this mans regiment and anything else about the uniform/rifle, etc. greatly appreciated.

The photo was taken at "Avondale"[house name], the address looks like "Coleswood Road, Harpenden". Taken "during early 1915".

Cheers

John

post-38480-1248461742.jpg

John,

first glance I'd say 12th Londons (The Rangers) and looks like he could have done with a larger tunic. Weapons are not my thing, but is that a long Lee Enfield?

cheers, Jon

100% Notts and Derby, Territorial, either 5th, 6th,or 8th Battalion, with Long Lee rifle wearing 02 pattern webbing. If the photo was taken at Harpenden, that is where the battalions were training prior to going overseas.

I agree with John - the scroll ends on the badge are not long enough for the Rangers.

Yes, except that it's Bandolier Equipment, Infantry Pattern 1903. Belt, two Mk. II 15-round pouches, and a 50-round (probably, can't really tell for sure) bandolier. With the Long Lee, quite typical for a Territorial in 1915. It's worth noting, too, that the rifle is in fact a CLLE - Charger Loading Lee Enfield - as can be seen by the front sight guard. Not as common as the Magazine Lee Enfield Mk. I or I*, or the Lee Metford Mk. II.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the information. On the back of the postcard is written -

"'Bobbo' - and five others billeted with us at 'Avondale' Coleswood Rd., Harpenden during early 1915"

Now to find out who Bobbo is :wacko:

Cheers

John

I know that some men of the 6th Battn Notts and Derby were billeted at 'Airedale' on Douglas Road, Harpenden in late 1914 early 1915. Only about 2km away.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I know that some men of the 6th Battn Notts and Derby were billeted at 'Airedale' on Douglas Road, Harpenden in late 1914 early 1915. Only about 2km away.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

John

I agree with John - the scroll ends on the badge are not long enough for the Rangers.

My first reaction was The Rangers (12th Londons) also, but the Rangers scroll had a double "ripple" rather than being a smooth curve as appears here. It would also have been blackened and we'd also expect blackened buttons. The central boss also appears to be too large. I think we can rule out The Rangers.

Was the Notts & Derbys territorial badge different from the regular Sherwood Foresters badge? The maltese cross on the Foresters badges I've seen is quite a lot "slighter" than the KRRC-based badges with the points appearing sharper.

The only Notts & Derbys terrier badge I'm familiar with is the Robin Hood Rifles, which is based on the Rifle Brigade badge and is definitely not the one in this photo.

The other evidence all seems strong for another Notts & Derbys territorial unit though.

Presumably the bandoliers, ill-fitting tunic and unusual rifle reflect the equipment shortages experienced by units still in training in England during 1915?

Or could he be part of the transport column?

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 years later...
Guest Larksfield

John,

We have just come across your post on this site, from 2009, showing a photo of "Bobbo". This is intriguing, because my grandparents lived at "Avondale", Coleswood Road, Harpenden around that time. They were Mr H S Gray and Mrs A Gray. The 1911 census shows their address as Avondale, but we have some correspondence showing that they had moved to 6 Coleswood Road by 1917, so it's possible they had moved from Avondale by 1915. If they were still there in 1915, perhaps my grandparents could have been the "us", with whom the 6 soldiers were billeted. We have a couple of photos of soldiers sent to my grandfather during the war, but we know nothing about who sent them, when or why. One photograph is of a group of seven men with cap badges that are different to the one in your photo, and four of them have what appear to be red cross badges on their arms. The picture was sent by a George Ewart Morrey from Market Drayton, Salop. Perhaps this could be one of the others billeted at Avondale. One of the group has some resemblance to "Bobbo", but it's difficult to be sure. Does any of this strike a chord with you?

Glenda