Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Linesman

Len Trim

Hi all,

just returned from a few days on the battlefields. Can I just say how wonderful Linesman was for finding my way about the battlefields especially Loos. Standing on the Hohenzollern Redoubt for instance. Wonderful, despite the nettles! What a commanding position. No wonder we got Hell. Linesman also very useful at Gommecourt. Amazingly enough the wood is still practically the same shape from some views anyway. Well done Guy Smith.

Len

Hi all,

just returned from a few days on the battlefields. Can I just say how wonderful Linesman was for finding my way about the battlefields especially Loos. Standing on the Hohenzollern Redoubt for instance. Wonderful, despite the nettles! What a commanding position. No wonder we got Hell. Linesman also very useful at Gommecourt. Amazingly enough the wood is still practically the same shape from some views anyway. Well done Guy Smith.

Len

OK, for the benefit of us newbies, can you tell us what 'Linesman'is

Thanks

Not used it myself, but here's the linky-link.

Steve,

'Linesman' is a GPS system linked to trenchmaps and (I think) modern maps operated through a PDA (I think that's a personal digital assistant). Don't own one myself but my PDA normally sits in the passenger seat waving the map and moaning at me to slow down.

If you search the Forum for just 'linesman' you get about 13 pages of threads and this one looks good

Ian

2nd only to the forum as essential kit.

mick