Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airfields Occupied by Kagohl 3

Aspern

Hi

I am finding contradictory information regrading the airfields used by the different staffeln of Kagohl 3 around Ghent. I wonder if anyone can help to clarify?

In Fredette ' The First Battle of Britain', page 42, it says, "Brandenburg assigned Staffeln 13 and 14 to the field at St. Denis-Westrem. Gontrode, which had a large airship hanger, was taken over by Staffeln 15 and 16.'

However, in C.M. White's 'The Gotha Summer', page 52, it says. ' In April...Kagohl 3 was able to...take up residence at Melle-Gontrode (Staffeln 13 and 14...) and St. Denis Westrem (Staffeln 15 and 16).'

So, two different views there.

Later in Fredette (page 150) it says '...steady bombing forced Kleine to disperse the flights concentrated at Gontrode. Staffeln 13 and 14 were moved to Mariakerke and 17 and 18 were relocated at Oostakker'.

This would seem to contradict Fredette's previous entry.

Can anyone confirm an accurate dispersal of Kagohl 3's Staffeln during the aerial campaign against England?

Also, I have read that Rfa 501 was based both at Gontrode and St. Denis Westrem. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any help that you can offer.

Hi,

Rfa 501 at Gontrode and Sint Denijs Westrem is correct.

Cnock

Hi,

Kasta 13 and 14 at St Denijs Westrem

Kasta 15 and 16 at Gontrode

Kasta 17 and 18 at Mariakerke

Regards,

Cnock

Rfa 501 : later new airfield at Scheldewindeke

Cnock

Scheldewindeke

Staaken RV

Cnock

post-7723-1248458459.jpg

Hi,

Kasta 13 and 14 at St Denijs Westrem

Kasta 15 and 16 at Gontrode

Kasta 17 and 18 at Mariakerke

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock - many thanks for your reply to my request for information - my apologies for not replying sooner but I was away at the weekend.

May I press you for a little more?

So, I understand that in late September 1917, bombing raids on St Denijs Westrem and Gontrode by British aircraft forced a redeployment of the Kastas based at those two airfields. Is that correct? So which Kastas moved to Mariakerke and which to Oostakker, if that is indeed where they went - and did they remain there for the rest of the war?

And presumably this means Rfa 501 remained at Gontrode and St Denijs Westrem alone until they moved to Scheldewindeke in March 1918?

Any more help you can offer Cnock is very much appreciated.

There is no rush on this as I am away on holiday later today but will be back on 5 August.

Many thanks

Hi,

I can already tell that Rfa 501 moved to Scheldewindeke on 7/3/1918. That same day in the evening 6 Staaken attacked London, only 3 reached the target, R.39 dropping a 1.000 kg bomb.

Seems that Sint Denijs Westrem was a bit 'crowdy' being also the base of Armee Flugpark nr. 4.

Regards,

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I can already tell that Rfa 501 moved to Scheldewindeke on 7/3/1918. That same day in the evening 6 Staaken attacked London, only 3 reached the target, R.39 dropping a 1.000 kg bomb.

Seems that Sint Denijs Westrem was a bit 'crowdy' being also the base of Armee Flugpark nr. 4.

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock

I was wondering if you are able to help me regarding the moving around of the Kagohl 3 flights following the British bombing of the airfields in September 1917 as per my earlier posting. Any help would be great.

Many thanks