Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID

MSM

Can anybody please help me identify the regiment from the uniform below.

post-46990-1248377066.jpg

post-46990-1248377077.jpg

The picture was taken late 1914 or early 1915 and is not fantastic quality, so I can't get a good picture of the badge.

The soldier's name is Francis Edwards but unfortunately his service records do not appear to have survived.

I have searched the MICs which gave me a rather large list of possibilities. I have managed to reduce the list by cross-checking against SDGW and surviving service records, but the list is still quite large. I hope that suggestions for the uniform will help me identify the correct MIC (assuming Francis had one!).

Thanks,

Matthew

Royal Artillery, by the look of his shoulder title possably Territorial, or RGA

Ray,

if you squint long enough you can just make out a 3 tier title being T/R?A/???????

cheers, Jon

Matthew

did Francis have any other names? Where did he come from/live? I've narrowed the MIC search down to 8 with one looking like a good contender

cheers, Jon

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jon, he had no other names, he was born (1887) and lived in Chester.

Is the cap badge a standard RFA/RGA badge, or did the TF have a different badge?

Thanks,

Matthew

In that case then Matthew this man is a very strong contender, the MIC may also be available on ancestry. The 6 digit service number which was issued during January 1917 falls into the number block that was allocated to the Cheshire Bde RFA. The whole of the Territorial Force was renumbered during 1917 and a low pre change number would suggest an old hand which fits in with his date of birth. The Cheshire Bde RFA was part of the divisional artillery to the 53rd (Welsh) Division, there were 3 batteries 1/1st (Chester), 1/2nd (Chester) and 1/3rd (Crewe). So the shoulder title should read T/RFA/CHESHIRE if this is indeed your man.

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon. it's amazing what people achieve on here.

A quick look at the Long Long trail shows that the 53rd division went to France from 20th November 1915 and the MIC for the man you suggest shows an entry to France date of 22nd Nov 1915, so this seems like a good match.

The MIC only shows France as the theatre, but the artillery of the 53rd division went to the middle east in Feb 1916. If he stayed with the 53rd would the middle east be shown as a theatre on the MIC, or does it suggest that he stayed in France for the duration (at least until the renumbering in Jan 1917)?

Do you think that cap badge in the photo is a standard RFA badge? I'm not doubting you, but I struggle to see how you made it out.

Matthew

Matthew,

the height of the badge and the angles at either side of the badge (the rammer on the left and the gun carriage on the right). The pic below is of a Territorial Artilley cap badge (found on the Somme) and doesn't carry the 'Ubique' scroll as seen on regular badges, since Francis was probably an old hand he may have still had this badge when he went overseas. The MIC confirms the Cheshire Bde RFA as does the theatre. Only the first theatre a man served in will appear on a MIC.

The 53rd Divisional Artillery didn't embark with the rest of the division for Egypt but remained in the UK until 22nd/23rd November 1915 when they arrived in France and served as the DA to the 32nd Division (a New Army division which was awaiting the arrival of its artillery). The 53rd DA rejoined the 53rd Divison on 22nd February 1915 in Egypt and spent the rest of the hostilities with the divsion seeing action in Egypt, Gallipoli and Palestine where the Armistice was signed on 31st October 1918. The Cheshire Bde RFA was re-numbered on 22nd May 1916 and became CCLXVII (267th) Bde and the batteries became 'A' 'B' and 'C' respectively. Changes came again on 25th December 1916 when the brigade was re-numbered CCXLV (245th) Bde, 'A' Bty was divided betwen 'B' and 'C' Btys (time for confusion 'B' then became 'A' Bty, 'C' became 'B' Bty and a new 'C' (Howitzer) Bty was added, this battery came from the old CCLXV (265th) Howitzer Bde which was broken up on 25th December 1916 - appologies if that's quite a lot to digest)

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1248392331.jpg

Matthew,

I cannot say for definate that the MIC I highlighted is your Francis Edwards but with the information that you supplied he is the best candidate,

cheers, Jon