Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elusive soldier from Hertfordshire

Guest KELLYBROD

Guest KELLYBROD

I have been searching for information regarding my great uncle George Marshall who died in the great war, but to no avail. His name was definately George and I have searched the CWGC. Kind people have looked him up on SDGW but noone fits the bill. Another kind soul looked on local war memorials for me and he is not listed there either. I have no idea what regiment he was in or what his number was. I know that he probably died in the later half of the war as he was born in 1900 in Stratford/West Ham essex. His home address was most likely Letchworth Herts or failing that Stotfold, Beds. Where do I go next? Is my only option to trawl through the index cards at the PRO? This makes things difficult as I am living in America at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kelly

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Kelly,

Try the Absent Voters List for Letchworth available at the County History Centre. This is OK if he died after March 1918.

Ian

The Bedfordshire AV lists (including Potton) both for Spring and Autumn 1918 are available at Bedford Record Office.

Although I do not live in UK I may be able to get them checked.

I have over the years checked the Hertfordshire AV lists at Hertford record office, I transcribed all the Bedfordshire Rgt men. I will look to see if he is listed (it is a long shot but you never know).

Cheers

Kelly

What information did you use to discard the many possible names on CWGC?

There are plenty of candidates where no clue as to location of residence/birth is given. In any case, the nok addresses given are those applicable after the war when the information was sought. Also there are varieties of spelling.

If you can give what info caused you to discount these names, we may be able to help (no guarantee though!).

Guest KELLYBROD

Dear All

Thanks for the help and advice. I have checked the absent voters list, but unfortunately George Marshall would have been too young to vote (you had to be 25). I have gone through the CWGC again and I am presuming that he was kiled between about 1917 onward as before that he would have been too young to enlist although I realise people did lie about their ages. Any of the soldiers listed as G Marshalls with contact details available can be ruled out, as none of the contact details fit anyone at all in the family. Thre must be about 30 other G Marshalls listed that do not have any relevant details to help me decide if they are the person I am looking for. So is my next step to go to the PRO and look all of these individuals up or is there an easier way? It was always said that he died in the Somme (this could just be a family myth), does this help me narrow my search down? I have no idea which ceneteries and memorials are in the area of the Somme, but I am sure that some of you could fill me in on this.

Thanks to those that offered look ups. As ever any help or advice is much appreciated. I am determined to track my G uncle down.

Regards

Kelly

Guest Pete Wood

Okay, what about this chap:

16480 Pte George Marshall 2nd Bedfordshire Regiment

Born and living in Stevenage (Stotfold is just up the road from Stevenage)

Enlisted Hitchen

Killed In Action 23/10/18

Does this chap fit the criteria....??

Guest Pete Wood

Sorry, I should add that this information is from Soldiers Died Great War.

Can you find him on the CWGC register??

Neither can I......

Guest KELLYBROD

Thanks so much for the look ups, unfortunately it seems as if this chap is not the George I am looking for. I looked this guy up in the 1901 census and there was a George Marshall living in Stevenage at the time and this is probably the one that you found on SDGW. My George Marshall was born in West Ham. Thanks for looking anyway, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Kelly

Guest Pete Wood

Errr, except that the George Marshall in the 1901 census was over 30 years of age - and would, therefore, have been unlikely to have fought.

I think you should also realise (or you may already know) that the 1901 census is far from reliable. Your chap may not be on the census.

I would strongly suggest that you examine the death certificate for this chap. I have looked at all the 80 odd soldiers who died on the SDGW CD-Rom and, while this is not totally reliable either, this is the ONLY likely candidate.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I have checked the absent voters list, but unfortunately George Marshall would have been too young to vote (you had to be 25)

Actually you had to be 21 or 21 within 12 months - my grandfather is on the AVL for Southwark at the age of 20 years & 1 month.

Karen Carter's grandfather is on the same AVL at the age of 22 years and 3 months.

Ian

Guest KELLYBROD

Actually the George Marshall you found on SDGW is listed on CWGC as JOhn George Marshall where it gives his parents contact details, so this completely rules him out. I wish it didn't it would make things alot easier. Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Kelly

Guest Pete Wood

Something is very wrong, here.

One or more of your criteria must be incorrect, or the information supplied to/by the records office is wrong - otherwise you would have a match.

I have gone through every single Marshall (all 1000 odd in case he used a different name) and discounted all those that don't match up with at least one of your criteria.

The serviceman must have George in his name; have a surname that is similar to Marshall; born in London and/or lived Hertfordshire (or nearby); not have any details of birth location etc.

I have also used the year 1916 onwards for all possibilities (and some earlier dates where there is a likely/possible candidate).

One of the following must surely be correct - or your George Marshall did not die:

Army

21463 George Rupert Marshall 15.7.16

47557 George Ernest Marshall 16.7.16

5681 George Marshall 5.11.16

201799 G Marshall 26.9.17 (only initial given)

40221 George Marshall 28.11.17

52851 George Francis Marshall 18.9.18

82142 George William Marshall 18.4.18

Navy

15867 George Marshall 26.6.17 RNR

14974 George Edward Marshall 5.6.16 HMS Hampshire

RAF

53984 George D Marshall 19.10.18 RAF

Possible Spelling Errors

275614 George William Marsh 27.3.17

66215 George Thomas Marsham

These men died after 1918 (so no information will be held on them in SDGW)

MARSHALL, G R B Private G/68660 12/01/1919 Unknown Royal Fusiliers

MARSHALL, G Corporal 9403 31/03/1920 Unknown Northumberland Fusiliers

The only group of British servicemen I am unable to assist you with are RFC personnel (ground crew etc). Can anyone help?

Discount all those who aren't correct, and tell us which ones 'may be right.'

Guest Pete Wood

While the FreeBMD doesn't contain everyone, are any of these Essex men yours?

Births Mar 1895

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshall George Braintree 4a 701

Marshall George Frederick Sudbury 4a 785

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Jun 1895

Marshall George William Edmonton 3a 346

Births Dec 1895

Marshall George Edward Rochford 4a 531

Marshall George Henry H S Edmonton 3a 381

Marshall George Robert W. Ham 4a 338

Births Mar 1896

Marshall George Stephen Saffron W. 4a 715

Births Sep 1897

Marshall George Frederick Edmonton 3a 478

Births Dec 1898

Marshall George Edward Chelmsford 4a 585

Births Jun 1899

Marshall George Edgar Sudbury 4a 840

Births Sep 1899

Marshall George William B.Stortford 3a 595

Births Mar 1901

Marshall George James Chelmsford 4a 683

Births Sep 1901

Marshall George Henry W. Ham 4a 124

Marshall George John W. Ham 4a 58

Births Mar 1902

Marshall George Henry Edmonton 3a 477

Marshall George Henry Edmonton 3a 573

Births Sep 1902

Marshall George William Dunmow 4a 870

Births Mar 1903

Marshall George Williams West Ham 4a 176

Births Sep 1903

Marshall George Frederick Edmonton 3a 459

Marshall George Nathaniel W.Ham 4a 95

Births Mar 1904

Marshall George William C W. Ham 4a 65

Births Sep 1904

Marshall George Thomas W. Ham 4a 333

Births Mar 1905

Marshall George Edwin W.Ham 4a 128

Marshall George Frederick W.Ham 4a 44

Guest KELLYBROD

Thanks so much for your superb detective work. I have to admit that I am still fairly green when doing this research and not too farmiliar with all the quirks of some of the databases. From the BMD the only likely ones for George are those registered in WestHam, as his parents were married there and lived there (from their marriage cert) and he is listed on the 1901 census as living in WestHam and having been born there. In the 1901 census he is listed as being 6 months old, which while the census has many errors makes sense as his parents got married in 1899 (I know I am presuming that this happened within wedlock!) The date I have means that he would have been born towards the end of 1900. I don't know how long parents have to register a birth, but from the BMD there are only two Georges born in West Ham with birth dates registered in 1901 (none in 1900) So it could be wither of these two, however I suppose that the records for the BMD aren't yet complete.

In the meantime I will go through all the likely candidates on the CWGC and see what I come up with. Thanks again for all your time and effort I really do appreciate it.

Regards,

Kelly

• 6 years later...

Kelly,

With regards to the Letchworth link, I am currently researching servicemen killed from Letchworth in the Great War and have only found one Marshall from or living in Letchworth. I have also looked through various card indexes at the local Library and have gone through the Letchworth newspaper between 1914 and 1918. So far I have no mention of a G Marshall although i do have information on:

· Marshall, Arthur Charles Frank: Private 265595, Hertfordshire Regiment. Killed in action 31st July 1917 in France & Flandrs. Born Royston, enlisted Hitchin, resident Letchworth.

I will keep an eye-out for G Marshall and post here if I find anything.

Good Luck!

Dan