Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Hill, architect of the Midland Hotel, Morecambe

Brian Curragh

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know which unit Oliver Hill served with?

Brief biography:

Hill, Oliver

(b London, 15 June 1887; d Sapperton, Glos, 28 May 1968). English architect. On the advice of Sir Edwin Lutyens, a family friend, he first worked for a builder in London and was then articled to the architect William Flockhart (1854–1913). From 1909 to 1911 he also attended the Architectural Association evening school in London where he designed elaborate, finely draughted classical schemes. His principal early work involved garden design and house additions at Moor Close (1910–13), Binfield, Berks, a rich, eclectic baroque ensemble. After serving in World War I, he returned to his practice and designed Cour (1922), Kintyre, Argyll, a stone country house, low-lying and picturesque. During the 1920s he became a fashionable architect who used neo-vernacular and Neo-Georgian styles, with simple interiors exploiting colour and texture, for example at Woodhouse Copse (1926), Holmbury St Mary, Surrey.

Assuming he was an officer, there are no obvious candidates in the Medal Index Cards on Ancestry.

Thanks

Brian

Ann - if there's any chance, please could you PM me a copy of whatever The Times has on his obit as I don't have access - many thanks.

CGM - definitely an interesting individual!

Brian

His entry in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects is here.

Gwyn - thanks also

This is presumably the man himself : WO 374/33448 HILL, Capt O F 1918 - (assuming this is not him : WO 339/73680 HILL O [1914-1922])

Can someone remind me of the significance of the "1918" date - does that indicate that the file only contains items from 1918 (as opposed to referring to his service) ?

Brian