Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Australian census records

zippy.72

I am tracing my great-great uncle William Wilfred Clemmett who is shown on Ancestry as living in Victoria and NSW between 1924 and 1936. As I do not have full access, I cannot find any more info. Would any Australian pals be able to help?

These are the details from 1936:

Clemmett, William Wilfred, 116 Pacific Street, Dee Why, blind fixer

Clemmett, Robertina, 116 Pacific Street, Dee Why, home duties

Dee Why was in the sub district of Narrabeen, in the Waringah district. Apparently it's now a suburb of northern Sydney.

Aled

These are the details from 1936:

Dee Why was in the sub district of Narrabeen, in the Waringah district. Apparently it's now a suburb of northern Sydney.

Aled

Many thanks. Am I right in saying that the census records no longer exist?

Zippy,

As Carmania notes, Dee Why is a beach side suburb two suburbs south of Narrabeen and two north of Manly. Pacific street is Pacific Parade, but their address is home units these days.

Scott

To add to Aled's reply

1924 electoral roll - 198 Maribyrnong Road, Moonee Ponds (a suburb of Melbourne) - Carpet Planner - with Robertina - home duties

1930 electoral roll - 2 Victoria Street, Rozelle (another Sydney suburb - under Lilyfield today) - Carpet Planner - with Robertina - home duties

AND (so presumably moved around this time)

86 Major Bay Road, Concord (a Sydney suburb - road today seems to be Majors Bay Road) - Fishmonger - with Robertina - home duties

He was also listed in the 1932/33 Sands Directory of Sydney at the Concord address

Have a look at Google Maps for Australia - all the streets are on "Street View"

A couple of other bits of info in case you don't have them - they left London in 3rd class on the "Orvieto" on 6th March 1920 to Melbourne. William was listed as a Carpet Planner on the manifest.

Robertina died in 1947 - death registered in Manly (Sydney) and William Wilfred died in 1951 - aged 68 in Collaroy (Manly district)

Do you have his MIC from Ancestry??

Cheers

Sue

Also - looks like William had a couple of spells with the Volunteer Defence Force during WW2 -

just put his last name in the search screen here - http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp#summary1

You can apply for copies of the 2 records (at a cost) through the National Archives of Australia - use this search screen -

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp - with just the name Clemmett and the links come up

Good Luck

Sue

Wow-many thanks. I have got his MIC. For years I thought that only my great-grandfather John Clemmett and one great-great uncle had served in WW1. I now know that 2 of his other brothers including William also served. The family thought he had been 'lost' in Australia!!