Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA GUNNER

susan ault

img017.jpg

My grandfather Henry Charles Ault RGA

I have recently been given this wounderful photo, up until a month ago all I knew was my grandfather was in the RGA. Sadly I will never know his battalion due to the destruction of his records during the 2nd world war.

Sue Ault

Sue, have you checked the actual Medal Rolls at Kew, there is a chance that his unit may be recorded there. What's Henry's service number? AVLs if they still exist for his home town are also a good resorce for unit details

cheers, Jon

Sue, have you checked the actual Medal Rolls at Kew, there is a chance that his unit may be recorded there. What's Henry's service number? AVLs if they still exist for his home town are also a good resorce for unit details

cheers, Jon

Hi yes his medal roll was sent to me it only gives his base Dtls,115850, gunner RGA.

I was told he was possibly conscripted to fort bogoyne, Dover.

I have resined myself at present to the info i have obtained. As a military novice until I visit qew i will have to wait. Jon i have been researching my grandfather for the last 12 years its only been the last 4 that i have obtained any photos of him, he died a year before i was born 1954. He was born in1878.

sue

Hello Sue

The RGA had batteries (heavy, siege, mountain and AA), companies (for coast defence) and sections (for AA) rather than battalions, which really only applied to the infantry.

Have you tried looking in the 1918 Absent Voters List for the area he was living in at the time? These are now usually to be found at the relevant County Record Office, and I would expect you to find his unit there.

Good luck!

Ron

PS Sorry Jon - I've only just noticed "AVLs" in your post.

Hello Sue

The RGA had batteries (heavy, siege, mountain and AA), companies (for coast defence) and sections (for AA) rather than battalions, which really only applied to the infantry.

Have you tried looking in the 1918 Absent Voters List for the area he was living in at the time? These are now usually to be found at the relevant County Record Office, and I would expect you to find his unit there.

Good luck!

Ron

PS Sorry Jon - I've only just noticed "AVLs" in your post.

Yes john visited westminster Archives im not sure if the lady I asked really knew what I was talking about, she said they didnt hold them there. I was a bit confused as she said the local library held them. I think i will phone up one day to ask another archavist just incase she was unsure. On my aunts birth cert for 1919 he is still down as RGA.

sue

I assume that you have looked at his MIC as well as the medal rolls. I know that it is unusual, but my Grandfather's MIC states 4th Seige Battery RGA, rather that just RGA. You may be lucky.

Nigel

I assume that you have looked at his MIC as well as the medal rolls. I know that it is unusual, but my Grandfather's MIC states 4th Seige Battery RGA, rather that just RGA. You may be lucky.

Nigel

Please pardon my ignorance but what is a MIC :huh:

Sue

Medal Index Card. They tell you which of the medal rolls to look at. They're on-line via the National Archives website or Ancestry.

Keith

Medal Index Card. They tell you which of the medal rolls to look at. They're on-line via the National Archives website or Ancestry.

Keith

hi Keith

I cant see a mic any where on Ancestory i can only see MIR

Ault

Henry Charles GNR 115850

VICTORY RGA PAGE 6649

BRITISH DO

SUE

His card is on Ancestry HERE

However it gives no more details than those you provide, its blank on the back and carries only RGA.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Due to information received from members of this forum, I have recently acquired a copy of a book called Ocassional Gunfire: Diary of a Siege Gunner. This details the history of the 118th Siege Battery RGA. In the back is a nominal roll. I will be happy to look and see if your grandad was in the same regiment as my granddad.

If found I will reply under this blog....

By the way 1954 is an excellent vintage.....