Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur Baldwin, Pte. 6084 Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers.

19Hussar

The subject is an ancestor (sort of anyway), rthe only information I have is that his name was Arthur Baldwin and his regiment was the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. I understand he survived the war but might have suffered some injury. His unit number was 6084. can anybody assist with some additional information ?.

REGARDS, 19HUSSAR.

Some corrections...

1. No such regiment as Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. Should be Royal Warwickshire Regiment

2. Medal card shows he was a regular in the Worcestershire Regiment ( WorcR) 17190 confirmed by date of entry into theatre and 1914 Star award

He then transferred to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (R War R) 56152 and it appears became a Corporal

So where does number 6084 fit in?

1. No such regiment as Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. Should be Royal Warwickshire Regiment

This I know but I have a Transfer to Reserve Cetificate for a man who served with the Inniskilling Fusiliers and it clearly states that he also served with the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers, it's always baffled me

cheers, Jon

Sorry

The first two posts were very misleading

A million appologies ladies and gentlemen, the original information I was supplied was in error. Arthur baldwin was in fact 6084 of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Does that now help ?

Regards, Chainsaw. :huh:

RWF - GRUMPY's your man, on this forum.

From my reading of his number, and the fact that he was in France by 6th October 1914, he was either a 3rd (Special Reserve) man who had joined that Bn in September 1914 and then been pretty swiftly sent overseas as part of a draft for the 2nd Bn, subsequently being posted to the 1st Bn. Or he had joined as a regular way back in 1899, which was when that number would have been issued, and sailed for France with the 1st Bn.

Ray Westlake's, British Battalions in France & Belgium 1914, summarised from war diaries, states that the 1st Bn embarked from Southampton on the 5th but was ordered to return to England on the 6th. Presumably though - and GRUMPY will no doubt confirm - the men from the 1st Bn set foot overseas, hence the date of 6th October 1914 on their medal index cards.

Paul

6084 Pte Baldwin A appears to have been a long-serving regular, joined 1899, to 1st Bn served Boer War, Queen's SA Medal clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal, 1914 star, landed 6/10/1914, did not apply for clasp to 1914 star, was not a POW. I do not have a discharge ... the Silver War Badge rolls may help. His MiC may also help.