Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7th Bn Middlesex Regiment

DavoT

Hi fellow forum members,

I'm trying to ascertain where the above battalion was on or around 2nd/3rd October 1916. According to the LLT the 56th (London) Division took part in the Battle of Transloy Ridges in October. The chap I'm gathering extra info on was wounded in the shoulder and hip and made prisoner for the next two years. 1/7th Bn details below with my chap arriving in France on 25 July 1915.

1/7th Battalion

August 1914 : in Hornsea. Part of Middlesex Brigade in Home Counties Division. Moved on mobilisation to Isle of Grain.

September 1914 : left the Division and moved to Gibraltar, arriving 17 September.

February 1915 : returned to England. Moved to Barnet.

13 March 1915 : landed at Le Havre and two days later attached to 23rd Brigade in 8th Division.

Between 23 June and 2 August 1915, amalgamated with 1/8th Bn.

8 February 1916 : transferred to 167th Brigade in 56th (London) Division.

Thanks to all in advance,

Cheers,

David :D

They were involved in the Battle of Le Transloy which started on 1st October. They attacked at 3.15 p.m. on that day occupying a stretch of posts which were linked to form a new line 700 yards in advance of the jumping off trench. Light casualties of 7 killed and 15 wounded inc. two officers 2nd Lt Moxon and Lt Harris who died a few days later. They were relieved on the 3rd October.

Blimey, that was quick! Thanks Bill. That fits in nicely as his papers states missing 2 Oct and another part reckons wounding from the 3rd. Fantastic.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Just to add to what was posted by bmac, this is an extract from “The Die-Hards in the Great War” that you will probably find of interest to you.

“In order that the 1/7th might have a short rest before the general attack, which had been ordered to take place on the 5th October, the Battalion was relieved by the 1/8th on the night of the 3rd. The posts also were in due course relieved by the 1/8th. One of the posts, No 6., had been held by Lieut. F. Prockter and 17 other ranks, all Hornsey men, who on relief marched out to rejoin the Battalion. In the inky blackness of the night Lieut. Prockter lost his way and, after moving about apparently in a circle, walked into the German trenches. Although surrounded by the enemy, this little party refused to surrender and stiff hand to hand fighting took place, and it was not until every man had been either killed or wounded that the survivors gave themselves up. In this little affair Lieut. Prockter and 12 of his men were killed and the remaining 5, all wounded, were taken prisoners. This was the first occasion in the war that men of the 1/7th Middlesex became prisoners in the hands of the enemy.”

I hope this helps.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

to find this of interest is an understatement. This is absolutely fantastic. My chap was definately one of the lucky ones although he did appear to have a bit of a tough time as a POW. 3157 L/SGT (Cpl) Alfred DUGGIN is his name. Thanks to all who responded to my query, I now have more than I could have ever hoped for.

Cheers,

David