The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Interpreting WRNS War Record

Richard Lake

Hi

I amazed myself today by finding my grandmother's war record in a search of the National Archives. She was in the Women's Royal Naval Service Ratings Register of Service. Could anyone help me to interpret the card - particularly the initials after the word "Discharged" - it looks like "W.R.G.X". Also, any idea what "Victory" was in the first column - would that be HMS Victory, or some other meaning? Her 3rd posting seems to be RAF Cranwell, so could she have been incorporated in the WRAF - come to think of it that might be the letters after "Discharged"

Any comments would be appreciated.

post-47602-1247784358.jpg

Many thanks

Richard

Yes it would be HMS Victory A Shore establishment IIRC.

WRGF? War Related ? ?

quote:"Discharged" - it looks like "W.R.G.X".

Looking along that line, does it not begin 'RAF Cranwell'?

and looking at the 'A' in RAF, then does it not say 'Discharged WRAF' [the col is headed 'If Discharged whither...' so this could be Discharged to the WRAF???]

I wonder if the connection is the RNAS which joined the RFC to form the RAF in 1918

re the WRAF see http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/wraf.html

quote:"Discharged" - it looks like "W.R.G.X".

Looking along that line, does it not begin 'RAF Cranwell'?

and looking at the 'A' in RAF, then does it not say 'Discharged WRAF' [the col is headed 'If Discharged whither...' so this could be Discharged to the WRAF???]

I wonder if the connection is the RNAS which joined the RFC to form the RAF in 1918

re the WRAF see http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/wraf.html

Yes, I agree that the letters under discharged are probably WRAF - however, she had already been at Cranwell for 2 months when she was discharged, so I was assuming that this was her final discharge from military service.

The WRAF was formed before she even joined up. Does anyone know if all staff were transferred from the RNAS to the RAF in one go, or could some staff have been transferred later?

Richard

I have confirmed that "Discharged WRAF" probably did mean that she was transferred from the WRNS to the WRAF. I found a postcard sent by her from RAF Cranfield in April 1919, at which time she is presumably still in the Services.

By November, she was out of the Services and working in a hospital in London.

I hope to have a photo of her in uniform soon.

Richard Lake