Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another young soldier, Essex Regiment.

high wood

This young lad, who seems not to have started shaving at the time the photograph was taken, is Robert James Feakins. Robert's birth was registered in Rochford, Essex in 1898 by his proud parents, Elizabeth Minnie and her husband, Samuel James Feakins, a well borer of Hadleigh, Essex.

In November, 1914, despite being under age, young Robert enlisted as Pte 3526 in the 2/6th battalion of the Essex Regiment at Westcliff. The battalion was sent to Peterborough in December as part of the 206th Brigade, 69th Division. Early summer 1915 was spent at Thetford in Norfolk and in July 1916, the battalion was moved to Killinghall Camp at Harrogate in Yorkshire from where Robert sent this post card home. Shortly after this, Robert Feakins transferred to the 7th battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and was renumbered 35124.

Three months later he was dead. Killed in action on the 7th October, 1916 during the capture of Rainbow Trench near Gueudecourt. The Southend Standard reported that he was buried in Gueudecourt but subsequently his grave could not be located.

The 18 year old Robert James Feakins is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing.

post-6480-1247772555.jpg

:poppy: Sleep lightly lad. Thou art for King's guard at daybreak.

With spotless kit turn-out and take a place of honour.

Great photo and story. RIP. My data suggests that he joined between 7th and 10th November (and probably closer to the 10th than the 7th). Does that tie in with what you have?

A fitting tribute to one of our brave lads, rest in peace.

Durham Light Infantry

Great photo and story. RIP. My data suggests that he joined between 7th and 10th November (and probably closer to the 10th than the 7th). Does that tie in with what you have?

Paul,

I do not have an exact date as I have not seen the service papers (if they have survived). My information comes from the Southend and District Roll of Honour 1914-1921 by Jeffrey Jarvis which quotes an article in the Southend Times dated 19th October 1916.

Simon.

Are you able to help with my other post regarding a regimental number for a young soldier in the DLI?