Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Deutz U Boat Engine

I am currently working on a Deutz engine model PMZ230 that is supposed to the type of engine used in German U Boats in WW1. I have contacted Deutz in Germany and they do not have any records on this engine. Maybe someone on this forum may have something, anything.

It is a two cylinder, two stroke, water cooled, direct reversing air start marine diesel with a bore of 200mm, stroke of 300mm and speed of 480 RPM. Serial Number is 164479

Peter

Hi Peter!

I found a web page that references the approval of the Deutz engine model PMZ230R in 1927 for use in locomotives. You can see the page here:

http://www.werkbahn.de/eisenbahn/zahnrad/bemberg.htm

Not your motor per se, but maybe a lead may be found on that page (with the help of Google Translator!).

Also, have a look at:

http://www.boekopcd.nl/product_info.php?products_id=210

Lastly, found this, which shows that motor in use on the ship Feuerland:

http://www.expeditionsschiff-feuerland.de/...g_FEUERLAND.pdf

The document was too big for Google Translator to handle...maybe you will have better luck. Looks like this ship was also built in 1927.

Out of curiosity, where did the engine come from? Who mentioned the u-boat connection? There are others on this forum who know far more about u-boats than I who may be better able to comment as to whether this engine was ever used in Great War-era u-boats. You might also put a post on uboat.net's WWI forum, as there are some more experts there that don't necessarily read this forum.

-Daniel

Thanks for the leads Daniel

The engine was installed in the Capitol Theatre in Sydney in the early 1920's as a emergency power generator first as DC power and later changed to AC power. The theatre is listed under the national trust and was restored to its former glory in the !990's, it was at this time they decided it was no longer needed and donated to The Sydney Antique Machinery Club, it was in a small bricked in room and had to be dismantled to remove it throgh a small access hole. The engine was reassembled at the club premises and is started for annual shows. Unfortunatly the main people involved in its resurection have either died or cannot remember too much about it. The main pereson who found the info about it being the same type as that used in WW1 U Boats has died and has not left us with his source.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter,

When is the next show that the engine will be exhibited? I can't find a website for your club, live in Sydney and am a nuts and bolts man.

I wouldn't rule out the u-boat possibility, but could it possibly be a little younger than you think (WWII?). A lot of strange stuff ended up out here after the war and found some unusual applications. There was a famous single seater race car built here in the 50's that was powered by a Maybach engine from a captured German scout car.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott

It is definatly a 1920's vintage engine or earlier.

The next show is the third weekend in September at Hawksbury Showground near Clarendon Station, see you there

Peter

I do not think that, that engine would be anything like a main propolsion engine for a U-boat. These engines are normally 6/8/12

cylinder engines of several thousand horsepower.

It is more likely to be a bilge pump/ electricity generator engine and as you state from a U-boat

David you could be right but smaller subs such as the coastal torpedo attack boats class UB had only a 60 hp engine and the coastal mine layer class had a 90 hp engine. A lot of marine engines were/are made with different number of cylinders but using the same basic parts such as cylinders, pistons, conrods, heads and fuel injection systems. The main difference being the crankcase and crankshaft.

Peter

Peter,

The only class of inshore sub with an engine near that power was the UB1 chass which had a 60 hp 4 cylinder engine.

The UC1 coastal attack had a 90 hp 6 cylinder engine as the main propulsion. These engines are stated to be Daimler or Benz

engines.

I still think that though this engine may have been installed in a U boat, its primary purpose would have been either to generate

power (electric power) or a bilge pump/or main pump to empty the floatation tanks.

Hi Peter,

I did a quick run through the uboat.net archives and found two posts that reference the use of Deutz engines on u-boats, though both are from WWII-era boats. So, Deutz was used on u-boats...we are a bit closer. Here are the links:

http://uboat.net/technical/electroboats2.htm

http://www.uboat.net/forums/read.php?3,7125,7183,quote=1

-Daniel