Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment

Doug Lewis

Could anyone please tell me where the 6th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment were situated on 12th December 1916.

Regards Doug

Could anyone please tell me where the 6th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment were situated on 12th December 1916.

Regards Doug

Hi Doug

If you go to the Long Long Road (top left of this page) and search for the 6th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment you will find:

6th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Pontefract in August 1914 as part of K1 and became part of 32nd Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division. Moved initially to Grantham. Moved to Witley in April 1915.

3 July 1915 : sailed from Liverpool for Gallipoli, landing at Suvla Bay 6 August 1915.

Evacuated from Gallipoli December 1915, moved to Egypt via Imbros.

Moved to France in July 1916.

So 1916 they were in France... if you then at the same place search for 32nd Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division you will find them under Kitchener Divisions where its shows:

11th (Northern) Gallipoli, France & Flanders August 1915

Click on the 11th (Northern) and it takes you to a page whose url is http://www.1914-1918.net/11div.htm

This shows you all their movements in a skelton format but for 1916 its says:

On 26 January the Division began to move to Egypt, landing at Alexandria on 2 February and concentrating at Sidi Bishr six days later. 19 February saw the Division take over a section of the Suez canal defences.

The Division received orders on 17 June 1916 for a move to France. Embarkation at Alexandria was completed on 3rd July and by 7th of that month Divisional HQ had been set up at Flesselles. By 27 July, the Division had taken over part of the front in Third Army sector. The Division then took part in the following operations:

The capture of the Wundt-Werk (Wonder Work)*

The Battle of Flers-Courcelette*

The Battle of Thiepval*

The battles marked * are phases of the Battles of the Somme 1916

You may like to google each of the later battles to look for actual dates that will answer your initial question?

OK? I hope that helps

Colin

Thanks Colin for your reply

I had already looked at the Long Long Trail. I was hoping for specific information possibly form the war diary or battalion history. I'm reserching a local soldier who was wounded (gunshot to the shoulder) on 12/12/16. Thanks again for your help.

Regards Doug.

Anyone able to help?

Regards Doug

Hi Doug. The 9th West Yorkshire's also of 32nd Brigade, at this period, were in reserve trenches at Beaumont Hamel. I can only presume that the 6th Yorks. and Lancs were also in that vicinity.

Kindest regards.

Chris.

The 11th Division were in the front line near St Pierre Divion - Hansa Line.

The 6th Y&L did relieve the 9th Sherwoods on 29/30th November. The Y&L men at first started for the front and then got lost, being found marching towards the dugouts. The 9th Bn returned on 19th December so I presume that the 32nd brigade manned the trenches until then (ish)

Hopefully the war diary will be held by someone.

Steve M

There's no mention of the 6th Yorks & Lancs in the 9th West Yorkshire War Diary at this period as they seem to be relieving the 8th Dukes on rotation.

However, i see that there are a few casualties to the battalion buried in Hamel Military Cemetery. The 9th War Diary does mention though Doug that enemy artillery was very active on the Sector. On the 12th, the vicinity near to the 9th Battalion Headquarters was shelled resulting in numerous deaths. Also, one stretch of trench is reported as in quite a bad state due to the shelling, this being 'Engine Trench.' Maybe someone with the relevant map can help you out.

Kindest regard.

Chris.

Thats it Steve.

I have just found the location of 'Engine Trench,' just south of Beaucourt, between 'Railway Alley' and 'Railway Road.'

All the best.

Chris.

Thanks Steve and Chris for your help,it is appreciated.

Regards Doug.