Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

School of Military Aeronautics Reading

asdarley

Here is a paper found amongst many others. The names may be of interest to Pals out there!

The paper is headed "Orders by Major G C S? P de Dombasie Acting Commandant School of Military Aeronautics Royal Flying Corps Reading.

post-11647-1247504897.jpg

What a find! Just as important as the names are the service numbers for the other ranks; RAF service records are in service number order.

No1 School of Instruction.

Formed 20.12.15 at Co-Operative Wholsale Society Jam Works Reading and disbanded on 24.01.19. They had a mix of airframes including Bristol Scouts, B.E 2c, Sowith Scout, Curtiss, Sopwith 2 Seater(?), F.E.2, Maurice Farman and others. I think this was a ground school rather than a flying school?

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

There's some information online about an RFC pilot trainee who received his initial theoretical training at Reading in early 1917. It's here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/L5WithFondestLoveTrev.htm

The organisation he was associated with was based mainly at the University of Reading, it seems.

Whilst they do not appear in the online version of his story I also have a number of manuscript pages which are notes he took during lectures there.

Chris

Fascinating stuff! The other papers I have are mostly about balloon handling and exam questions relating to observing artillery fire and reporting back. One question I particularly liked was ...

5: What do you know about fuses from an observers point of view; which do you prefer and which do you dislike most?

I think my answer would be any fuse timed to go off anywhere near me is bad!

• 3 weeks later...

Browsing through one those large National Archives boxes containing a dozen files, I came across this:

Air Ministry: Air Historical Branch: Papers (Series I) AIR 1/136/15/40/271

1 School of Instruction - Reading - R.F.C. training.

But was the School of Instruction the same as the School of Military Aeronautics?

Moonraker