Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small stones on Jewish Headstones

Derek Robertson

During a visit to Belgium last week nearly all the Jewish CWGC headstones we saw had small stones on the top of them.

Someone mentioned that small stones also featured in the film "Schindler's List".

What is the significance of the stones being placed on the headstones?

Not sure of the total answer but I believe it shows someone has visited that grave.

I'm sure a more definative answer will appear.

Ali

Derek,

again, I am not sure of the definitive answer...........

But I believe it is a mark of repect/rememberance by a Jew visiting a grave, as at the end of Schindler's List

During a visit to Belgium last week nearly all the Jewish CWGC headstones we saw had small stones on the top of them.

Someone mentioned that small stones also featured in the film "Schindler's List".

What is the significance of the stones being placed on the headstones?

Try a "search". This was discussed in the forum last year.

Actually I learned this while visiting Krakow, scene of Schindler's List.

Placing stones on Jewish graves is a tradition carried down since the Exodus from Egypt. Moses took 40 years to make it from Egypt to Israel and durning that time several people obviously died. Since they were in the desert they did not bother burying the bodies, instead they just placed a sheet over the body and used stones to keep them covered.

I am not Jewish, but I do know a lot of the religion is based on tradition. I am not sure exactly why but this is one of the traditions that has carried on.

Something else you might notice on some Jewish graves is a 'roof' over the headstone. This has a more obvious reason, and also based on tradition. It keeps the head stone dry and clear, so that those who pass by know who is buried in that spot.

Andy

This was discussed at some length on the forum a few months ago. I mentioned that I had only noticed it in the last few years in CWGC cemeteries. It is an ancient Jewish practice. More people, including more Jews of course, are now visiting the battlefields but I'm sure the increased incidence is partly due to the film. I have also seen lines of stones on memorials in Normandy.

When we discussed it last, I recall David Bluestein gave a very informative reply. It's there somewhere if you search.

John

Thanks chaps, I found all I wanted after a "search" - very interesting stuff.

Guest jeffonthego
Thanks chaps, I found all I wanted after a "search" - very interesting stuff.

Derek, any chance you can post the links you found in your "search"?

Did a Search and found this thread, however it refers to another David Bluestein thread, but don't see that one.

Perhaps some kindly moderator can the (several) threads on this fascinating topic and draw them together. We seem to air this one about every six months, and its nice to know that it still creates interest.

I started to do it on occasion after the practice was explained to me some years ago. It seems a fine and simple way of remembering and paying your respects.

Today I was at Bedford House Cem. with my camera.

I could not resist to take a pic while passing this Riflemans grave, to share it on the forum!

Greets

Joris

post-19-1082729795.jpg

It may be of interest to have a translation of the traditional Hebrew epitaph shown engraved inside the Star of David on Rifleman Bloom’s headstone.

תנצבה are the initial letters of the phrase “May his soul be bound up in the binding of life”

Regards

Michael D.R.

• 1 month later...

For the last five years one of my grandsons (now 10) has been going with me most months to the battlefields of the old Western Front, one of the first of a constant barrage of questions was why do some of the Jewish headstones have stones on whilst others do not?

Now my grandaughter also asks the same question, she is concerned that the headstone of 2Lt P Freedman who lies next to Henry Cuttress at Monchy-le-Preux never has any on his, I have been unable to explain why, untill now, thank you for this thread.

David.