Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aubers Ridge - trench map request

AlanCurragh

Does anyone by any chance have a trench map for the area around Annequin, just south of Festubert, for May 1915?

Many thanks

MR

Not for as early as May 1915 (I'm not sure if a trench map would have existed at that time) but here is a map of the village. We drove through Festubert today but not Annequin. It is remarkable how flat the countryside is!

That's brilliant, thanks Robert

Very nice picture Robert, did you take any other pictures in the area, such as what is left of the quarries?

regards

Richard

post-4-1082113390.jpg

No, I'm sorry Richard.

My wife and I travelled down to the Somme on Monday via Cambrai, Le Cateau, Landrecies, Peronne, Le Hamel, and Villers-Bretonneux. Then we did the Somme on Wednesday. Yesterday, we drove back via Cambrai again, Monchy, Vimy Ridge, Lens, Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle, Aubers Ridge, Messines, Hooge, Ypres, Passchendaele, and finally to Middelkerke and Nieuport. So limited scope for photographs but a great trip!

Robert

Robert

That is an excellent tour itinerary, any interesting menus for lunch and dinner?

Any recommendations for accommodation?

Regards

Richard

We stayed at the Ibis Hotel in Calais on the first night. This is because we could not leave London until late on the Monday. The advantage was that we could set out early on the Tuesday morning. On the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, we stayed at the Hotel Royal Picardie, just outside Albert. It was ok but others on the list might have cheaper options to suggest. The advantage of Albert was the proximity to the Somme.

On the Tuesday night, we ate at the hotel restaurant. Over-priced and slow service. So on the Wednesday, we enjoyed a meal in a little restaurant on the right just as you drive into Bapaume from Le Sars. We had planned to eat at Le Tommy's as well but it wasn't open until well after 7pm. After walking all day in the fresh air, we weren't prepared to wait :rolleyes:

The rest of the time, we bought baguettes, etc from local shops or cafes.

Robert