Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repro Mills box

Andy A

Hi all,

just like to show you a few pictures of a repro Mills box, 2nd pattern recently made for me by another forum member.

It was made using the exact measurements from my original box which was found on the Somme.

It has been aged and distressed very slightly and looks fantastic. Obviously cannot confirm the exact colour as my original box has changed a bit after 90 or more years in the ground and the positioning of the labels is probably different. All in all a great copy and i am very pleased with it.

Andy

post-18379-1247411594.jpg

post-18379-1247411615.jpg

Here is another picture, sorry about me in the forground.

Andy

post-18379-1247411805.jpg

Here is another picture, sorry about me in the forground.

Andy

Andy, any chance of another photo with your original box alongside for comparison?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

here are a couple more pictures, obviously the original box isnt perfect, hardly suprising after all those years in the ground. I just need a repro det tin now.

Andy

post-18379-1247413739.jpg

post-18379-1247413810.jpg

Hi Dave,

here are a couple more pictures, obviously the original box isnt perfect, hardly suprising after all those years in the ground. I just need a repro det tin now.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks very much. I don't know who made your box, but I'm sure somebody in The Great War Society produced a couple a good few years back that were very accurate. You can get almost anything reproduced these days; a clever chap called Geoff Carefoot used to do a huge range of repro stuff via a site called "Tommy's Packfillers" which included some cast resin items - possibly a det tin? That said, not sure if he's still up and running.

Anyhow, nice box and thanks for the pics (that could seriously be taken out of context !!).

Dave

Dave,

just found out that they were made by a different person [big Brothers 1984 ideolegy at work here, just unmade earlier comments]. Boxes double plus good.

Ile check out Tommy's packfillers for a det tin. Tried but no joy.

Andy

Original maker of the box has offered to make me a replica det tin so well pleased with that.

However i have enough No 5s to fill it easily so no problem there.

Andy

You may need an instructions leaflet to complete the restoration. If you want one I will send you a high resolution copy of the enclosed photograph. The original is on thin card.

post-6480-1247464997.jpg

You may need an instructions leaflet to complete the restoration. If you want one I will send you a high resolution copy of the enclosed photograph. The original is on thin card.

Thanks High wood,

that would be nice, would appreciate it.

Andy

Thanks High wood,

that would be nice, would appreciate it.

Andy

It's all coming together Andy! Ref Tommy's Packfillers, I'm not sure Geoff is still trading anyway; I seem to recall something about a move and/or ill health (if any other Forum member has any info I'd be grateful - Geoff was a stalwart of The Great War Society, which I was involved in before graduating to real soldiering (!), and his repro labels etc were works of art; a sad loss if he has called it a day).

Anyway, good luck with assembling the required elements for a complete box.

Dave